Users Cannot Control Audio
Hello All, I have a problem that I cannot find any information on and was hoping someone here is able to answer for me. We have a farm of Server 2008 R2 machines that allow audio redirection but basic users cannot control the volume level from the task bar in the lower right hand corner, but admins of the machine can. They have to go in through the control panel which is not really desired. I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem and found a fix? Thanks, Gerad
July 11th, 2011 8:59pm

you mean to say they can increase and decrease sound from control panal but cannot do the same from the taskbar iconhttp://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 11th, 2011 9:33pm

That is exactly what I mean. Sorry I did not make that clearer. Gerad
July 11th, 2011 10:24pm

Hi, When you indicate the volume level from the task bar in the lower right hand corner cannot be controlled, do you mean it is hidden? If so, please remove the Group Policy. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: HOW TO: Hide Control Panel Tools in Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325852 If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=61679580-3c8e-4a6a-803e-52bd38475d8b Password: KvAe1TI7#QIKIpE Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Collect GPMC log ============== 1. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. If the GPMC snap-in is not installed. 2. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard) 3. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report and upload it to the link I provided. Regards, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 12th, 2011 9:13am

Hello, I have sent the report on one of the servers with a basic user logon. I also uploaded a screen cap of the problem (look for the boxes in the lower right hand corner). The problem is not that it is hidden but that they can not control the volume from the icon in the taskbar. Thanks, Gerad
July 12th, 2011 7:05pm

Hi, I also cannot find any policy settings related volume control. Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you perform the following troubleshooting on the client. Delete All Group Policy Registry keys ======================== 1. Click “Start”, type “regedit.exe” (without quotation marks) into “Start Search” box and press Enter. 2. Locate the following key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft] Right click on "Microsoft", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup. Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key. 3. Highlight Microsoft and click "Delete". 4. Please repeat the above steps for the following registry keys. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies Note: if some keys do not exist, please ignore them. 3. Exit the Registry Editor. If the issue persists, I also would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 What’s the result in Clean Boot? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 21st, 2011 12:50am

Click Start, click Run, type mmc in the Open box, and then click OK. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in. Click Add. Click Group Policy Object Editor, and then click Add. Click the target Group Policy object (GPO). The default GPO is Local Computer. Click Browse to select the GPO that you want, and then click Finish. Click Close, and then click OK. Expand User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then click Control Panel. In the right pane, double-click Hide specified Control Panel applets. Click Enabled. This setting removes Control Panel tools from the Control Panel window and the Start menu. To specify the Control Panel tools that you want to hide, click Show. In the Show Contents dialog box, click Add, type the file name of the Control Panel tool that you want to hide in the Enter the item to be added box, and then click OK. Control Panel tools use the .cpl extension and are located in the %Systemroot%\System32 folder. To find the file name of a Control Panel tool, search for .cpl files in the %Systemroot%\System32 folder. To do so: Click Start, and then click Search. Click All files and folders. In the All or part of the file name box, type *.cpl, in the Look in box, click Local Disk (<var>drive</var>:), where <var>drive</var> is the drive on which Windows is installed, and then click Search. Repeat step 10 for each Control Panel tool that you want to hide, and then click OK. Click OK, and then quit the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in. these steps will help you to unhide your Sound button on righ hand side corneer of Takbar Kamal Sharma
July 21st, 2011 5:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics