User cannot log on: "There is not enough space on the disk."
Ihave a network of about 70 users andjustover 100 computers running Windows XP. The domain controller is a Windows NT 4 server (which is in the process of being upgraded to Windows Server 2003 and only hasn't been thus far due to impossible amounts of red tape). My file/user profile server is a W2K3 server. All of the client workstations are identical in hardware and have the exact same software and operating system configuration.One user can only log on to two of the computers in the entire network. This is a new problem; two days ago, he was able to log on to any machine. Today, however, on all of the other machines,Windows originally would hang on the "Loading your personal settings" screen for hours at a time. Yesterday,he started receiving the following error on login:Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to this network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.DETAIL - There is not enough space on the disk.Windows then returns to the welcome screen.There are three things to note: The file server has well over 300 GB of free space on every partition, and Disk quotas are not enabled on the file server nor on any other computer on the network None of the client machines have fewer than 50 GB of free space I have checked the event logs on the file server, the NT domain controller, and the client machines he tries to log in to; none of them report anything interesting.I tried following the advice on this threadto no avail.I am at a complete loss as to what the problem may be. I write code - irc.slashnet.org #winprog
August 21st, 2008 5:23am

UPDATE:On machines that he hasn't tried to log in to, the "Loading your personal settings" still window appears and stays there. After waiting for 45 minutes, he is successfully logged in.Hope that detail helps with problem isolation.I write code - irc.slashnet.org #winprog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2008 8:44am

Well, I guess nobody has any ideas as to what the reason may be, so I'll chalk it up to"theCoriolis effect" and re-create his user account.I write code - irc.slashnet.org #winprog
August 23rd, 2008 6:13am

Hello, Did u tried the this article ?? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935649 and also please let us know if you have got any errors posted in the event viewer.Thanks Syed Khairuddin
August 23rd, 2008 9:13am

Tried that, no dice. I'm not getting that exact same error, but I tried it anyway.No errors in event log for the domain server, the file server, or any of the machines he tries to log in to.I write code - irc.slashnet.org #winprog
August 24th, 2008 6:50am

Hi, Did you tried this:1. On a client machine delete the use profile if it's exsisting (using My computer proparites , user profile)2.try logonIf this didn't worktry:On the File server Move the user files from his home dirctory
August 24th, 2008 9:17am

Hello Trueborn, In order to solid narrow down the root cause of the issue , please follow the troubleshooting steps Troubleshoot steps: 1. Logon the user profile server (W2k3 server) with the administrator credential 2. Please check size of the user profile of the administrator on the user profile server (W2k3 server) to see if it in a big size 3. If so, please click Start -> Run - > type in drwtsn32 , unchecked "dump all thread contexts", "Append to existing log file", "create crash dump file" 4. Create a new domain account, logon a client with the new account and then check if the issue still exists. If the logon hang issue still exists, we need to collect and analyze the userenv.log and winlogon.log to narrow down the root cause. 1. Collect Userenv.log Please do as following steps on these problematic client to obtain detailed troubleshooting information from the user environment debug log. a. Start Registry Editor. b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon c. Right-click and new add DWORD(32-bit) with the Value of "UserEnvDebugLevel" d. Type in 100002(Hexadecimal) or 65538(Decimal) in the Value data box, and then click OK. e. Reboot the problematic computer to make the change take into effect. The Userenv.log is located in the folder: %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Debug\UserMode\ 2. Collect Winlogon.log Please do as following steps on these problematic client to enable winlogon.log as the delay occurs during computer startup: a. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) b. Locate and click the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions\{827D319E-6EAC-11D2-A4EA-00C04F79F83A}. Please note: The above registry key is one path; it has been wrapped for readability. c. Edit the following registry value: Value name: ExtensionDebugLevel Data type: DWORD Value data: 2 d. Quit Registry Editor e. Reboot the computer The Winlogon.log file is created in the folder %systermroot% \Security\Logs For more information, pleaserefer to: How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221833 You may send the logs to tfwst@microsoft.com and we will discuss it with that. Thanks for the co-operation.David Shen - MSFT
August 25th, 2008 1:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics