User Profile Disks with Windows Search

We have 2 RDS Servers (2012R2) and work With User Profile Disks

We use outlook cached mode (Outlook 2013 SP1) because the link to our head office is to slow

The problem is that the outlook search isn't working properly.

Every time the users logs on, search indexes are recreated
This proces never finishes because the server is under a constant load, therefore search never works as it should.

In eventvwr, we see this error alot:

Crawl could not be completed on content source <winrt://{S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxxxx}/>.

Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:

The parameter is incorrect.  (HRESULT : 0x80070057) (0x80070057)

January 6th, 2015 2:37pm

Hi,

Here are some related links below for you:

Crawl taking indefinitely to complete

http://blogs.technet.com/b/victorbutuza/archive/2010/01/15/crawl-taking-indefinitely-to-complete.aspx

Outlook 2013 x64 not searching cached email...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/fa9b5e0b-28fa-4295-90e8-7ab14edde3cd/outlook-2013-x64-not-searching-cached-email?forum=outlook

If these methods above couldnt help you solve the issue, please refer to dedicated outlook forum below to get more efficient support.

Outlook IT Pro Discussions

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlook

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2015 9:36am

Hi,

I have been searching for a solution for this issue in a client environment for a few months now.

Our environment is similar, RDS on Server 2012 R2 with Outlook in cached mode and the search service enabled However we are using Outlook 2010.

I disagree that the issue should be marked as resolved.

I believe you are experiencing the same issue as I and these 2 other people:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e6d4e3e6-37ef-488c-86ac-d135e3f2353f/windows-search-index-and-user-profile-disks?forum=winserverTS

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/dc6328e9-96dc-4377-a23f-0fb7020e5daa/indexing-user-profile-disk-on-a-file-server-or-on-the-rdsh-server?forum=winserverTS

When users logon, the search service begins indexing and if the user is logged on long enough it completes user files, including the OST.

However when the user logs off, Windows deletes the search data as it believes the profile has been deleted. The profile has not been deleted, the profile disk (UPD) has merely been dismounted.

We really need a resolution for this, this shouldn't be happening. The profiles are not getting deleted and the index is getting deleted for the wrong reason.

Furthermore if this issue is not fixable, then it will delay our push to move clients to Office 365. If we cannot index offline email on RDS, then we simply cannot move our Exchange servers offsite.

Unfortunately no resolution has been provided from Microsoft as yet to any of these 3 people who requested support.

Can anyone else shed any light on this?

Thanks, Nigel

• Edited by NigelHPrice Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:31 AM Formatting lost via iPad
February 10th, 2015 9:05am

Hi,

We have the same problem where a customer is using PST files and POP email. I know, terrible.

In any case the servers are 2012r2 with User Profile Disks enabled. Outlook 2013 with the latest updates.

Indexes are removed each time a user logs out. Some of them have more than 100,000 emails so the indexing will never complete. 

I have tried moving the index to a separate folder on the RDS outside the mounted UPD but that did not help.

Mats

February 27th, 2015 9:50am

Hi,

Does anyone have any success to report on this? Hope so...

I can report that moving the OST out of the UPD to a normal local folder on the TS didn't help either.

The index data still was deleted for the user upon logoff.

I could also see an immediate drop of the indexed stats of about 1,500 when the user logged off. Upon next logon those 1,500 items were re-added to the index a few minutes later.

Here is the event log item that confirms Windows deletes the data.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Search-ProfileNotify
Date:          4/03/2015 3:11:15 PM
Event ID:      1
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      TS01.DOMAIN.local
Description:
Windows Search Service indexed data for user 'DOMAIN\Username' successfully removed in response to user profile deletion.

How can we convince Windows the profile wasn't deleted, the user merely logged off?

Cheers

March 4th, 2015 4:25am

Does anyone know of a simple way to convert a UPD to a regular roaming profile without changing it for all users at once?

We haven't been able to solve this issue yet.

March 28th, 2015 5:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics