Use SCOM to Test login to a Website?

Hi,

We host and manage a web application in our data center. The website often gets updates, and then we have to manually test login to the website. Is there a way to do this using SCOM?  We would need to supply the credentials for the system to be able to login successfully.

Thanks.

November 2nd, 2010 10:49pm

You can create a syntetich transaction for that.
In you OpsMgr console, go under Authoring - Management Pack Templates - Web Application, under Actions you'll find Record browser session that lets you du just that, and then alerts you if something goes wrong..

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 3rd, 2010 10:33am

I also would like to share the following information:

Create a Web Application Monitor in opsmgr Part I:

http://scug.be/blogs/scom/archive/2008/10/19/create-a-web-application-monitor-in-opsmgr.aspx

OpsMgr by Example: Monitoring Web Applications:

http://ops-mgr.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!3D3B8489FCAA9B51!199.entry

How to Capture a Web Application Recording in Operations Manager 2007:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb381178.aspx

November 3rd, 2010 10:47am

Thank you both.  However, it seems that it is not recording my session I assume because it is using https with basic auth?
November 3rd, 2010 11:01pm

Are you using Internet Explorer to do the recording? I think OpsMgr only works with IE, and u need to start 64bit IE if on a 64bit server.

I think the above is correct....

Cheers,

John Bradshaw

November 4th, 2010 12:42pm

Actually I was just running it from my 32bit client machine that has the SCOM manager installed. Will it not work this way?
November 4th, 2010 8:01pm

When u click on the Start Capture button, you should see the recording session start in IE.

I'm on a 64bit server and it starts up a 64bit version of IE7.

There is another version of IE on the server and this will not record to OpsMgr.

(in IE7 under Tools -> Toolbars -> Explorer Bar you will see Web Recorder)

Thought it might be worth a try...

JB

November 4th, 2010 11:29pm

When u click on the Start Capture button, you should see the recording session start in IE.

I'm on a 64bit server and it starts up a 64bit version of IE7.

There is another version of IE on the server and this will not record to OpsMgr.

(in IE7 under Tools -> Toolbars -> Explorer Bar you will see Web Recorder)

Thought it might be worth a try...

JB

Thanks. I got it to record a login process, but it does not run the test successfully when I try and test. I get 401s on all pages after the login. I assume it is not recording the login itself. Is there a way to do this?

November 5th, 2010 7:37pm

It should work...Sometimes (and I have no idea why) it can take 6-8 tries before a "Success" comes back, even though there is nothing wrong with the website. If a site is really down though, SCOM seems to report that back OK.

Thx,

John Bradshaw

November 8th, 2010 12:02am

Hi

As John has said, it will probably fail when you do the initial test from the Wizard. You'll probably need to configure Run As Accounts \ Profiles unless the agent account has permissions to log on to the web server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb735423.aspx

Cheers

Graham

November 8th, 2010 8:24pm

Thanks. I configured an account using basic auth as that is what the website uses.  WHen I run the test, i get:

Date: 11/10/2010 10:29:29 AM
Application: System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2
Application Version: 6.1.7221.0
Severity: Warning
Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.UnauthorizedAccessMonitoringException: An illegal token, $RunAs, is contained in the task overrides.
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.SdkDataAbstractionLayer.HandleIndigoExceptions(Exception ex)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.SdkDataAbstractionLayer.HandleSubmitTaskIndigoExceptions(Exception ex)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.TypeSpaceOperations.SubmitTasks(IList`1 jobDefinitions, Guid batchId, JobCategory category, Boolean registerCallback)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementGroup.SubmitMonitoringTask(ICollection`1 targetIds, Guid taskId, MonitoringTaskConfiguration configuration, MonitoringTaskStatusChangeCallback callback)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementGroup.SubmitMonitoringTask[T](ICollection`1 targets, Guid taskId, MonitoringTaskConfiguration configuration, MonitoringTaskStatusChangeCallback callback)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementGroup.BeginExecuteMonitoringTask[T](ICollection`1 targets, Guid taskId, MonitoringTaskConfiguration configuration, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementGroup.BeginExecuteMonitoringTask[T](ICollection`1 targets, MonitoringTask task, MonitoringTaskConfiguration configuration, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Internal.UI.Authoring.WebApp.WebApplicationEditorForm.<>c__DisplayClasse.<StartRunNowTask>b__d(Object , ConsoleJobEventArgs )
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

November 10th, 2010 7:30pm

Anyone have any ideas on this error?

November 29th, 2010 6:50pm

Hi

I don't find the test particularly useful - same for the OLE DB wizard. It frequently seems to fail (usually because the Test runs on the RMS using - I think - the Management Server Action Account) which doesn't always have the rights to complete the test. Ideally the wizards would allow you to specify a Run As Account during the wizard walkthrough and have the test after you have chosen your watcher nodes. That way the test would be a real test of Run As Account \ watcher node.

I'd suggest not clicking on the test button. Configure the web monitoring and the run as account - does it actually work when you select a watcher node and start monitoring?

Cheers

Graham

November 29th, 2010 8:54pm

Hi

I don't find the test particularly useful - same for the OLE DB wizard. It frequently seems to fail (usually because the Test runs on the RMS using - I think - the Management Server Action Account) which doesn't always have the rights to complete the test. Ideally the wizards would allow you to specify a Run As Account during the wizard walkthrough and have the test after you have chosen your watcher nodes. That way the test would be a real test of Run As Account \ watcher node.

I'd suggest not clicking on the test button. Configure the web monitoring and the run as account - does it actually work when you select a watcher node and start monitoring?

Cheers

November 30th, 2010 6:16pm

In the OperationsManager console, in Monitoring > Web Application > Web Application State, do you see your web test listed there?

If so, what is the state?

November 30th, 2010 7:00pm

In the OperationsManager console, in Monitoring > Web Application > Web Application State, do you see your web test listed there?

If so, what is the

December 2nd, 2010 10:48pm

Its state is healthy.  I am not sure how this could be since IISLogs have no record of the login...

Sometimes in SCOM you receive false positives because the task doesn't return a status code of the final result.  This happens with SCOM tasks as well.  However in your case you can see it's not logging in, but the question is why don't you see the attempt?  Is it because logging needs to be modified?

Regardless you should be able to collect the response body from your request.  This will provide you the response back from the website when your synthetic is running.  Go into the properties of your requests, select monitoring tab, response body collection, always collect.

Then run another test and look into the results to see why it's failing.  I hope this helps

February 24th, 2012 4:46pm

Has anyone figured this out?  Is it possible? I think SCOM is limited to plain webpages.

I've done multiple attempts but the user name and password are not being used by SCOM.  The reason for the "false positive" is because SCOM sees the subsequent pages as the main "Login Page" instead the page after the login occurs.  Since the login page is up and functional it returns a successful check.  It doesn't actually login to see the content on the next page.  If you were to do a content check on the page after the login it would return a unsuccessful result.

When I asked Microsoft about this issue they directed me to a different product for these purposes:
MS pointed us in this direction: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/2013-editions#d-test-professional

Another thing that I attempted was HTTP POST, where you can pass the user name and password via the URL but that is not a possibility with secure websites.  Hope this helps someone.

November 14th, 2013 2:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics