Urgent - does system recovery cause data loss?
Guys After installing a few USB 3.0 drivers, my system has become unstable and is booting into System Recovery. Now, I had built this system only back in July and I can restore to it but will I lose all the data I've put in some personal folders on the HDD? The server only has a single HDD which contains the system image and my files. I thought system recovery only restores the system files, etc but the prompts seems to indicate it's an entire re-image Just before I choose the Yes prompt, it does warn me - all data on the drives to be restored will be replaced with the data in the system image. Are you sure you want to continue? Thanks
September 6th, 2011 5:12am

Hi As far as i know it will reset your system to the HDD state it had when the backup was made. So you should backup your files to be on the safe side.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2011 9:00am

Hello, of course you will loose all data from the time after the backup was made. So make sure to save them BEFORE restoring to the older backup.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
September 6th, 2011 9:11am

before repairing can you please try booting the server in the SAFE mode and give a try ? If it boots from Safemode you should be able to remove the drivers from there OR you may also try using last know good configuration option aswellhttp://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
September 6th, 2011 9:20am

Hi ! You are loose all data from the time after the backup is created. So if you need to save all yours data must be saved, copy or moved to another location before you are start restoring to the older backup. Before you are start repair try to boot in SAFE MODE and try to uninstall drivers or just use option "LAST GOOD CONFIGURATION" as one of option. Best regards Abdagic Ahmet Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
September 6th, 2011 9:29am

How do I get into last known good configuration? I tried pressing F8 on startup but it just gives me a screen showing options like boot normally, boot into safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc If someone can tell me how do I boot last known good configuration once I'm in safe mode, that'll help Also is it possible to use the windows 2008 R2 disc to reinstall the OS on top of the already-installed OS (in windows 2003 days, it used to maintain most settings and also allow the OS to be repaired Thanks
September 6th, 2011 6:33pm

At this link, someone has posted a full menu and it does have 'last known good configuration' but I don't get that option at all http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/caea24d4-52b5-4d00-bfed-bc2f00d1abb1
September 6th, 2011 6:36pm

Sorry for the multiple posts but it finally showed me 'last known good configuration' after multiple reboots. On trying that option, it results in a blue screen Next it rebooted showing me 'startup repair' as the 2nd option which I chose but it takes me back to Re-image your computer and asking me to select a system image backup which I created when I built the PC Any other options guys? Anything I should try with booting with the w2008 DVD? Thanks!
September 6th, 2011 6:39pm

Guys I'm going to attempt re-installation of windows 2008 on the same HDD. I'm guessing all my current data like user folders would stay just as it is. I don't care if the installed programs like photoshop, adobe, etc don't work Right?
September 6th, 2011 6:51pm

any update for your issue?Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 19th, 2011 11:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics