Upgrading to R2 from SP2
If I have 2008 SP2 do I have to purchase R2? I notice I cannot upgrade to it via windows update.
February 25th, 2011 6:58am

Hi, Windows Server 2008 R2 is a new server OS which only has 64-bit version. You need to purchase Windows Server 2008 R2 and perform a new installation or upgrade. Here are the upgrade paths: Windows Server 2008 R2 Upgrade Paths http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/migration-paths.aspx Regards, BruceThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2011 7:54am

Hello, Yes I agree with Bruce. FOR CALs Licenses: Q. I currently have Windows Server 2008 Client Access Licenses. Will I need to purchase new Windows Server 2008 R2 CALs? A. No. There are no new CALs for Windows Server 2008 R2. You can use your Windows Server 2008 CAL for either Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2. SUPPORTED UPGRADE SCENARIOS From Windows Server 2008 (RTM-SP1, SP2) Upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Datacenter Datacenter Core Datacenter Core Enterprise Enterprise, Datacenter Enterprise Core Enterprise Core, Datacenter Core Foundation (SP2 only) Standard Standard Standard, Enterprise Standard Core Standard Core, Enterprise Core Web Standard, Web Web Core Standard Core, Web Core Hope this will help you. Thanks
February 25th, 2011 8:03am

Thanks for the replies. For some reason it was hard for me to find a clear answer on this. So its really the next server operating system like windows 7 is the next desktop operating system.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2011 11:27am

Thanks for the replies. For some reason it was hard for me to find a clear answer on this. So its really the next server operating system like windows 7 is the next desktop operating system. Hello, correct.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
February 26th, 2011 12:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics