Upgrading Performance Tier is at 33% completion 16 hours in for < 50 GB. Is that expected?

From Shane Milton @Jaxidian via Twitter

@Jaxidian We happen to have a forum that may help resolve your situation: aka.ms/f128367 ^FC
@AzureSupport The query in that post shows I'm at 33% completion 16 hours in for < 50GB. Is that expected? Here are the results 16 hrs in on < 50GB database upgrade. And should I be concerned about lats_modify_time being many hours ago?

http://twitter.com/Jaxidian/status/642726777996054528

Thanks,
@AzureSupport

September 12th, 2015 12:28pm

Thanks for posting this here, Jillian. Here are some additional details now that I have more than 140 chars...

Firstly, I am performing a Database Performance Tier upgrade. I'm told by a peer that he can often have a 200GB database moved in ~2 hours. Mine is ~30GB in size and I am attempting to upgrade it from Business (retired) to S2. I kicked this off via the portal (Portal.Azure.com) last night at ~8pm EST (~midnight UTC) as the image above shows. We are now at 16.5 hours and it is still shown in the portal as "Online - Updating database pricing tier". The query from this link to check on the progress of the upgrade is what you see in the image above. This was ran ~30 minutes prior to this post (i.e. ~16 hours into the process).

Ultimately, I'm really surprised that this taking this long for ~30GB. However, I'm additionally concerned that the "last_modify_time" from that query is also ~16 hours old. Is this "stuck" or something? Or is there anything else I can do to help this along?

In the end, this is the first of 3 steps that I need to do and was hoping to accomplish over the weekend during a maintenance window but at this rate, I'm now expecting degraded performance once my maintenance window is over on Monday morning because I don't think there will be enough time for the rest of these upgrades.

1) Upgrade database from Biz to S2. (This is the only thing I have attempted so far and am waiting for this to finish before I begin the next two steps.)

2) Upgrade server to v12.

3) Upgrade database from S2

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 12th, 2015 12:38pm

Approximately 1 hour after the above screenshot, the same query still shows 33% complete with the same timestamps.

EDIT 1: 1.5 hours after screenshot shows identical info.

EDIT 2: We're now sitting at 18 hours after this began (2 hours after the screenshot). Query still shows 33% and nothing has changed.

EDIT 3: 19 hours, same results from the query. Enough is enough - time for an official support ticket. I hope this isn't a preview of what's to come for everybody with this upgrade forced on them later today! :-/

September 12th, 2015 12:56pm

Shane - Can you PM me your servername and database name at pehteh at microsoft dot com?

I would like to take a look what is causing the long delay. If you already have support ticket, you can forward the corresponding email to me as well.

-Peh

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2015 1:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics