Upgrade to IE8 lost all toolbars and tabs - how do I get them back?
I installed the upgrade to IE8, but lost ALL the toolbars (File/Edit, address bar, Favorites, Tools,etc.) and tabs. All I have when I open IE is the Titlebar (can Close/Restore/Minimize) and have been able to somehow get the Menu bar working. I have not hidden them and therefore cannot see them with F11. Which means I cannot right click anywhere to select any toolbars. I have gone back and forth between IE7 and 8 trying various suggestion, but still the tabs and toolbars are nowhere to be seen. Since I have the File-New Tab menu option, I can create tabs, but just cannot see the tabs to select one without selecting Quick Tabs. I am on Win Server 2008. I also have IE8 running fine on another machine with Win Server2008 and no problems. I have searched for a fix, but cannot seem to find one. Any help getting tabs and toolbars back appreciated.
June 30th, 2009 8:16pm

Hi, As far as I know, the default settings of menu bar in IE7 and IE8 is hidden, you can press Tab key to show it. You can perform the following steps to display it: 1. Press Tab key. 2. Select View---Toolbars---Menu Bar. In addition, it will be convenient to isolate the issue if you can provide the screen shot of the IE. Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2009 1:30pm

hi there, vincent is correct, you should be able to get the menubar , link , status bar when you right click at the top of the IE pane. what happens when you right click just after the tab ? are you able to see menubar, statusbar, link etc...if not , then i would recommend you to test in safe mode. If it works in safe mode then we need to check other aspects pelase follow the below link which is applicable for IE 7 to run IE in no-addon modehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214sainath !analyze
July 1st, 2009 4:12pm

The Tab key just tabs around the web page. I do now have the Menu and status bars. when I select View-Toolbars (or right click), i can see that I have all options selected - Menu, Favorites (greyed out), Command, Status, Google. I can access Favorites from the Menu bar. How do I get the address bar back (only reason I have Google toolbar). I also do not see any Tabs, although I can select File-New Tab, and I can also select View-Quick Tabs to select from tabs.I followed all the instructions in the above link, but no change.
July 3rd, 2009 8:34pm

sorry, I forgot to mention that I dont seem to be able to copy a screen shot into this reply panel.
July 3rd, 2009 8:36pm

Hi, You can upload the screen shot tosome website and paste the link here. Best regards, Vincent Hu
July 6th, 2009 5:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics