Upgrade Windows Server 2003 R2 Trial without Re-installing
My trial Windows Server 2003 R2 is expiring in 12 days. I have got a retail key and CDs. How do I switch to the retail key without having to re-install? I have too many running applications that re-installing would take too long and be too disruptive.I searched and it seems there is no proper way. Someone mentioned a registry hack that will force Windows Server to ask for a new key, but there's no report of it working. But those suggestions were at least two years old. Given that my version is only 180 minus 12 days old, does it come with an easier way to upgrade?Thanks.Peter Lewis (kingkong88-at-gmail.com)
July 21st, 2008 6:47pm

Help Help said: How do I switch to the retail key without having to re-install? You can't. Help Help said: Someone mentioned a registry hack that will force Windows Server to ask for a new key, but there's no report of it working. I have experienced the same situation and looked into the unsupported methods. I can tell you from experience these methodsdon't work.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2008 11:02pm

So do I install as a Repair or do I have to wipe out everything? If it is possible with a Repair, does the user accounts and AD domain membership get erased?Thanks.--
July 23rd, 2008 5:08am

According to theFAQ of Windows Server 2003 R2, you can perform an In-Place Upgrade to install the full version of Windows and keep the settings you established when you install the evaluation version.Windows Server 2003 R2 Trial Software: Frequently Asked Questionshttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430832.aspx Q. Can I use the Product Key that is included when I buy a copy of the full version (that is, non-evaluation) product to remove the 180-day limit instead of installing the full version product? A. No. You must install the full version of the product. The new Product Key will not override the 180-day limit on the evaluation software. When you install the full version product, select the Upgrade option when prompted during setup. This will keep the settings you established when you installed the evaluation version of the software.To perform In-Place Upgrade, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows Server 2003http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816579/en-usLaura Zhang - MSFT
July 28th, 2008 5:27am

Is this also true of 2008 r2? Mike Crowley A+, Network+, Security+, MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator Read my 2 on the Psychology of a TechNet Forum Thread!
August 14th, 2009 9:46pm

I think for the products released after 2007, ie Vista, Office 2007, XP SP3, Server 2008, Windows 7 etc, all allow you to not enter the key at installation, and to change the key at activation time or anytime thereafter.
September 20th, 2009 3:42pm

Is this also true of 2008 r2? Mike Crowley A+, Network+, Security+, MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging AdministratorRead my 2 on the Psychology of a TechNet Forum Thread! Yes. I did it, details here.
September 21st, 2009 3:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics