Updating deployment doesn't work in new portal

Hello everyone.

I tried to make my package deployment several times using new portal. Most recent attempt was an hour ago. None of my tries was successful. The process just hangs.

While new portal shows "Updating the staging deployment for cloud service ...", old portal doesn't reflect that something is being made with the service, so I suppose, the process simply hangs.

On the other hand, deployment with old portal works as usual. I'm afraid that in the future Azure will push us to use new portal, and we won't be able to make any deployment anymore. (like it was with SQL Azure while new portal still doesn't provide current DB size while old portal worked like a charm).

Does anyone suffer the same problem with deployment? When could it be resolved?

Thanks in advance,

Sergei.

June 5th, 2013 3:38pm

Hi,

Please take a look at the dashboard to check if there are some services(e.g compute, storage, portal) down when you deploy the service, you may try once more. And to my experience, if you are trying to deploy a big package, it is reasonable to take about twenty minutes. Below is the document to upgrade deployment for your information, you can call Get Operation Status to determine the status code for the operation once it is complete.

#Upgrade Deployment

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ee460793.aspx

If the issue still exists, please provide the error message here.

Best Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 6th, 2013 11:32am

Hello Haixia,

Thank you for your response. Here is what I have for now.

The package is pretty big (134Mb). That day when I wrote my message, I was able to deploy using new portal, in ~20 minutes. Next day, it was much quicker - similar to old portal, 4-5 minutes.

The problem appeared today when we made next Production release. Package deployment using new portal failed 3 times. Actually, it was completing with error. Finally, I had to make that using old portal, and it was easy, quick, and successful. The problem complaining was "Package conversion failed. Detailed error information: FileFormatException."

Frankly speaking, we are pretty disappointed with such problems in New Portal. 

This is screenshot of error we have. You might be able to track actual reason and advise.

June 13th, 2013 11:05am

Today update of deployment via new portal failed again. Screenshot below.

To fix the issue we had to stop correspondent cloud service, and start it over. We did it through old portal, don't know if it works in new one.

Fail 2013-06-14

June 14th, 2013 10:23am

Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards.

June 14th, 2013 10:57am

Today new portal displays 

RUNNING One or more role instances are unhealthy. 1 Instance: 1 Unhealthy

But all seems working fine.

Old portal shows Exclamation mark and "Ready" for the status, showing message

Your role instances have recycled a number of times during an update or upgrade operation. This indicates that the new version of your service or the configuration settings you provided when configuring the service prevent the role instances from running. Verify your code does not throw unhandled exceptions and that your configuration settings are correct and then start another update or upgrade operation.

But I can see new deployment label, and it seems that new deployment works fine.

What is wrong with this? This can be observed in new portal quite often while there were no such issues in old portal. We are pretty sure we don't do it wrong as sometimes it is deployed just fine, sometimes it fails, and sometimes it tells "failed" but actually fine. We don't change any Azure configuration between deployments.

Please advise.

June 27th, 2013 9:58am

Up. Will someone at Microsoft provide any feedback on this?
June 29th, 2013 9:28am

Is there a answer to this issue? we are having the same problem and now we can't use the old portal any more, which was always working for us. With new portal it fails everytime
July 3rd, 2013 5:03am

James, for me I could sometimes just Stop/Start the deployment, and it worked.

Sometimes I needed to not upgrade but make new deployment.

July 5th, 2013 3:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics