Updates keep failing at 32% and are being reverted after 3 tries.
At the moment i have 2 Windows server 2008 R2 SP1 on a HyperV platform that keep failing different updates. After installing an update the server reboots and says; Configuring Windows updates 32% complete Do not turn off your computer. After about 10 to 15 minutes the update process is being stopped, the server restarts and tries installing it again. This is being done 3 times and then the changes are being reverted. After a long time (2 to 3 hours) i can finally logon again. Both servers are DPM 2010 servers, and both off them are failing at the same point but with different updates. i already emptied the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and started WindowsUpdate again. Any help or information would be appreciated. Peter Camps Eshgro ICT
May 25th, 2012 9:28am

Has the update readiness tool been run without error? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool?SignedIn=1 Then check the %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log file for errors. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 25th, 2012 10:17pm

Hi, On both server i ran the update readinesstool and on both server there are no errors in the CheckSUR.log. At the moment i have absolutely no idea what could cause this problem. At first i thought that it would be the update, but on both server it happens with different updates. Greetings Peter Camps Eshgro ICT
May 27th, 2012 6:14am

Which update is it? Have you tried from a Safe Mode boot? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
May 27th, 2012 10:05am

On 1 server i am trying to install KB2529073 (1 from 7 updates available , but i think that every single update will fail with the same symptons). I have downloaded this update from the MS site and installed it myself, exactly the same thing happened and rollback occured. Installing in Safe Mode is no option, the Installer service is not running. On the other server it is update KB2636573, i have been unable to install this on several tries. The only thing in the eventviewer i saw was that after the update was installed and the server had to reboot, after about half a minute i see the error "The Windows Update service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control." Then the server restarts and the update does not finish , and is being reverted after 3 times. Grtx Peter
May 28th, 2012 10:25am

Reason I asked was if they were security updates then you could get no charge support from Microsoft CSS I'd also try from a clean boot. 1. Click Start->Run->type msconfig and press Enter 2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services 3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items 4. Click OK and choose Restart 5. After reboot, check whether the problem still occurs Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
May 28th, 2012 10:50am

I have done some more testing, on both servers there are no non-microsoft services, so a normal boot is in fact a clean boot. On 1 server update KB2529073 is continuously failing. I downloaded one of the other available updates, KB2660075 and this one was installed succesfully. Then i tried then next update, KB982018, and that one is failing at this moment. I found an article about this last update (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/0ebd404b-73ce-446f-a0a4-43f17cdc5624 ), and tried to install the mentioned update KB2552343. But i got the message that this update was already present on this system. So no luck there. On the other server both KB982018 and KB2552343 are already installed. There is update KB2636573 failing continuously. Unfortunately still no solution Grtx Peter
May 30th, 2012 4:03am

i have seen this behaviour with heavy io. you can try to delay the start of the vms (or put them to manually start) when you update your host and see if this makes a difference
May 30th, 2012 4:30am

This is while updating the guest VM's, not the host itself.
May 30th, 2012 5:58am

I finally found the solution to the problem, it was caused by a massive registry (120MB System Hive). This was caused by DPM 2010 and all the registry entries it left behind in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\STORAGE\VolumeSnapshot. Apparently these snapshot are not cleaned up properly and the registry continues to grow. There are several threads considering this problem. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/nl-NL/dpmhypervbackup/thread/ef3248ea-dfff-4bb2-9b33-09b3996d5001 http://garysgambit.blogspot.nl/2010/05/windows-2008-hyper-v-vss-backup-bug.html At first i used the tool DevNodeClean.x64 to delete all obsolete entries and then a registry compact tool to compact the registry to a size of 30 MB (System). After that i tried to install the one update that was going wrong constantly (Windows6.1-KB2529073-x64). It was installed correctly and after this i installed all other updates and not one off them failed. I now scheduled the devnodeclean daily to keep my registry small, hope this is going to be the final solution. Grtx Peter Camps
June 21st, 2012 10:42am

Nice. Thanks for letting up know. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 21st, 2012 9:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics