Updated Custom Management Pack Will Not Import -- Managed Type with Same Name

Hi,

I made a management pack with the Authoring Tool. The new management pack includes:

• Three new classes based on the 'Service Request' class.
  • Two custom forms from "Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.Applications.ServiceRequest.Forms.ServiceRequestForm"

I sealed the MP and imported it into SCSM. Great!

Now, I went back and made some changes:

• Added additional properties to the classes.
  • Added additional tabs and controls to the forms.
  • Incremented the MP version number.

I sealed the management pack and attempted to import it into SCSM, but I get the following error.

The management pack import failed. 
Errors (1):
Database error. {0} failed with exception: 
{1}
: Database error. MPInfra_p_ManagementPackInstall failed with exception: 
Database error. MPInfra_p_ManagementPackInstall failed with exception: 
ManagementPack cannot be imported because it contains a Managed Type with the same name as an existing type: SRSoftwareInstallRequest

Does this mean that if you create a new class, you have to delete the MP and re-import if you want to add additional properties to the class? I'm hoping not, since the implication is that I'd lose any data for that class that's currently stored in the database.

Thanks!

January 25th, 2015 9:18pm

You do not need to delete the MP to re-import. Also when sealing MPs using the authoring tool you do not have to increment the version. It does that for you.

Best guess at troubleshooting is to export the existing management pack and compare the two using a plaintext comparison tool. Try to figure out how they differ. Maybe you somehow changed the ID of the MP you are trying to import?

Also do you really need custom classes? There should be some really good reasons for doing so. You can often get far just by extending the service request class.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 26th, 2015 12:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics