Uninstalling SQL Server 2005 64-bit in Clustered Environment

I am running into an issue trying to uninstall SQL Server 2005 64-bit. It hangs at the same point: Removing backup files. I then get a message that, "The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Completing Commit. The error is: The cluster resource cannot be moved to another group because other resources are dependent on it." The instance that I am trying to uninstall is in a cluster hosting two other SQL Server installations. I have tried a few combinations when attempting to uninstall: running the cluster group containing the server I am uninstalling on a different cluster node than all the other cluster groups; running them all on the same node. The only one I haven't tried is moving the Cluster Group containing the IP address of the cluster, cluster name, etc to another node while running the other groups on the other node. Has anyone run into this issue? Each of the nodes has been rebooted several times during these attempts and we are using Windows Server 2003 Clustering.Again, the hang happens at the same point every time. The exact error(s) from the even log are as follows:

Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (64-bit) -- Error 29528. The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Completing Commit. The error is: The cluster resource cannot be moved to another group because other resources are dependent on it.

Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (64-bit) -- Error 29530. Failed to set registry settings for server network libraries. The action is SetShilohRoot. The error is 2 (The system cannot find the file specified.

)

Thanks,

Todd

May 20th, 2008 5:32pm

ran into the same issue. remove the dependencies configured for the sql cluster resources. then run uninstall again.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2008 1:55am

Hi Guys,

The exact same above is what i am experiencing now, I have 3 instances on a 4 node cluster. This is all SQL2005 Ent 64-bit. Now when you mention dependencies on resources i have checked all the resources on the instance i want to remove and there are no dependencies, but when i unistall it fails to complete as above. Would it be better to have the instance offline before running the install?

March 12th, 2011 11:31pm

I had this problem,  On C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap should be a directory called setup.  It was missing.  Copied from the orginial dvd the setup folder from en_sql_2005_dev_all_dvd\SQL Server x64\Servers\setup to \setup boostrap. 

Uninstall ran fine afterwards.

Hope this helps somebody

June 16th, 2011 12:31pm

You must run the process by the active server node.

Regards,

June 27th, 2015 11:50pm

Uninstall from active node by removing the passive nodes.
June 27th, 2015 11:59pm

>Uninstall from active node by removing the passive nodes.

Yes.  Also consider just shutting down the instance and leaving it in place.  Changing the configuration of a Server 2003 cluster at this point is a highly dubious exercise. 

David

June 28th, 2015 10:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics