Uninstalling KB2993651 from 2008 R2 server?

Hello,

We currently have an issue on one of our machines where the temp directory is storing font files and not releasing them, causing some storage overhead.  After some digging, we found the following regarding KB2993651, which is currently installed:

"After you install this security update, fonts that are installed in a location other than the default fonts directory (%windir%\fonts\) cannot be changed when they are loaded into any active session. Attempts to change, replace, or delete these fonts are blocked, and a "File in use" message is displayed."

This seems identical to the issue that we've been having.  That being the case, would it be ok to uninstall this update?  The update itself doesn't appear to be too critical, so I assume it can be, but I just wanted to throw it out here first.  Additional, if we shouldn't uninstall the update, then what would be some alternative solutions?

Thanks in advance!

February 24th, 2015 9:09pm

If it is available to uninstall then it should be fine to do so. This may be a java issue.

http://bugs.java.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=4469874

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2015 6:03am

Hi Lakers2015,

Accoding to the official information, KB2993651 is removable.

If you do have security worries, we can remove the update first, then remove the fonts. After that, we can re-install the update.

Here is the screenshot of my lab:

Best Regards.

February 26th, 2015 4:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics