Uninstall Hyper-V Integration Services

Hello, I have a question about Hyper-V integration services.  I cannot figure out how to uninstall them in a Windows 2008 guest (it is easy in Windows Server 2003, its in Add/Remove Programs).  However, it does not appear in the uninstall Programs list (via Control Panel).  I have read online to simply run setup.exe /uninstall from the Integration Services setup files, but that isn't working either (referenced at: http://capitalhead.com/articles/uninstall-integration-services-from-hyper-v-windows-guest-virtual-machine.aspx).  Does anyone know how to uninstall these services?  (I have confirmed that the tools are indeed installed, all the features work and the services are listed in services.msc).  Thanks!

March 17th, 2010 8:37pm

It doesn't appear in the list of programs in later operating systems because it is part of the operating system.

• Marked as answer by Vincent HuModerator Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Unmarked as answer by bcehr Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:01 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 17th, 2010 11:35pm

It doesn't appear in the list of programs in later operating systems because it is part of the operating system.

• Marked as answer by Vincent HuModerator Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Unmarked as answer by bcehr Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:01 PM
March 17th, 2010 11:35pm

How do I turn it back off after it gets "activated" in the operating system?  Before I installed Hyper-V integration services, the Hyper-V services were not present in services.msc.  As soon as I installed the integration services via setup.exe on the integration services setup disk, the services appeared in services.msc.  I need to get these removed/uninstalled.  Do you know how I can do this?  (I am referring to the tools installed in a VM guest, not the host Hyper-V server role.)

Thanks!
March 18th, 2010 7:07pm

This is just a guess. Go to Services and select the properties for the services you want removed. Disable them. Reboot your vm. See if that does what you want.

• Proposed as answer by Mark Stutzbach Monday, February 21, 2011 4:17 PM
March 18th, 2010 10:33pm

This is just a guess. Go to Services and select the properties for the services you want removed. Disable them. Reboot your vm. See if that does what you want.

• Proposed as answer by Mark Stutzbach Monday, February 21, 2011 4:17 PM
March 18th, 2010 10:33pm

Hi,

I would like to know why you want to uninstall the Integration Services.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

March 19th, 2010 3:51am

Hey!  I have a server (that cannot easily be rebuilt) that needs to go back to being a physical machine.  I have a tool that will preform this conversion, but I need to get the Hyper-V services removed first, which I can't figure out how to do (I wouldn't think uninstalling a program would be this hard ;)).   Thoughts on how I can do this?  Thanks!
March 21st, 2010 5:41pm

Anyone have any idea how I can remove the Hyper-V tools/features so I can get this box back to physical (I need to get rid of all the Hyper-V services that run)?  Thanks!

April 1st, 2010 8:41pm

Hi,

As John mentioned, the Integration Services is a part of the operating system, so you can’t remove it, and you don’t need to remove it, the files are there no matter your system installed on a physical computer or virtual machine.

By the way, I only heard of P2V, never V2P. You need to notice that the migration from virtual machine to physical may not work.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

April 2nd, 2010 7:58am

I have done V2P, but it often doesn't go well. There are commercial products that may be of value, although I've have discouraging results with some.
April 2nd, 2010 3:56pm

Thanks for the replies!  Vincent, since the files are there regardless what makes the Hyper-V services appear in services.msc after telling Virtual Machine manager to install Integration services?  Is it a flag that is flipped?  Is there a way to stop and hide these extra running processes that get activated when I tell Virtual Machine Manager to install integration services?  The main thing is, server admins will  not want to see hyper-v services running in services.msc on a phsyical server (the rest of our physical services do not have these services running).  Thanks!
April 2nd, 2010 9:08pm

hello...just wanna know what happened with you...did u manage to remove or uninstall the integration services??? did the migration work?I also need to migrate from v2p using Acronis but it says that i have to remove the integration services before...
April 26th, 2010 9:16am

hey, I have not fully been successful yet.  I did a test migration and it worked just fine except that all the Hyper-V services are still running in services.msc and they are throwing a lot of errors in the event log (since I can't find anyway to remove them without hacking the registry, which I don't want to do), and they all have issues when they try to startup.  For now, I can't convert the final version to physical until I get these hyper-v  service issues resolved.  If you find a better solution, let me know!
April 26th, 2010 3:10pm

Disable the services that are causing problems.
  • Proposed as answer by mozilla001 Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:41 AM
April 26th, 2010 10:03pm

Disable the services that are causing problems.
  • Proposed as answer by mozilla001 Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:41 AM
April 26th, 2010 10:03pm

Integration services can be installed from the disk itself..
  1. Start the Hyper-V management console
  2. Start and Connect to your Virtual Machine
  3. Click on Action > Insert Integration Services Setup Disk
  4. Log onto your virtual machine and open the command prompt
  5. At the command prompt browse to the Integration Services Setup Disk(D:\ in most cases)
  6. At the command prompt browse to D:\support\amd64 or D:\support\x86 depending on the arch of the vm
  7. To Uninstall the Integration Services, just type in the command prompt >Setup.exe /uninstall
  8. Restart the VM to make sure that the uninstallation process worked
  • Proposed as answer by mozilla001 Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:45 AM
April 27th, 2010 8:45am

Integration services can be installed from the disk itself..
  1. Start the Hyper-V management console
  2. Start and Connect to your Virtual Machine
  3. Click on Action > Insert Integration Services Setup Disk
  4. Log onto your virtual machine and open the command prompt
  5. At the command prompt browse to the Integration Services Setup Disk(D:\ in most cases)
  6. At the command prompt browse to D:\support\amd64 or D:\support\x86 depending on the arch of the vm
  7. To Uninstall the Integration Services, just type in the command prompt >Setup.exe /uninstall
  8. Restart the VM to make sure that the uninstallation process worked
  • Proposed as answer by mozilla001 Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:45 AM
April 27th, 2010 8:45am

I have tried to use the /uninstall switch before, but it doesn't work.  It just gives me the message "A previous version of Hyper-V Integration services has been detected.  Click OK to upgrade or repair this installation."  If I press OK, it simply repairs, can't uninstall.  I have also tried unchecking the options in the VM settings, regardless the services continue to run in services.msc.  Thanks.
April 27th, 2010 12:58pm

check that turned off hyper-v role in guest system
June 11th, 2010 5:24am

i also want to remove this tool because i want to use native boot from the windows 2008 r2 vhd. The vhd was started in hyper-V before so has the tool installed in it. 

When i try native boot from vhd, it restarted automatically, seems that there was blue screen for a short period of time, less then 1 seconds. If i try native boot and F8 to boot with safe mode (or something that i don't remember), i found that it restart just after the CLASSPNP.SYS is loaded (or loading).

i found in this article http://chenyitai.blog.51cto.com/996951/340657 that i should use sysprep for the vhd or remove the hyper-v tool:

Hyper-vWindows 2008 R2 64(SysprepVHD——Hyperv)

July 3rd, 2010 3:18pm

sysprep did not solve my problem. and since the integration service seems not be able to be removed. My problem might have other reason.

I have windows 2008 r2 installed, and enabled hyper-v. On the hyper-v, i am running SharePoint 2010 information worker demo vm. it runs fine. However, after i configured native boot from VHD and restart, the blue screen appear and restart automatically.  

My "outter" windows 2008 r2 boots fine;

The SharePoint 2010 information worker demo vm boots fine in hyper-v; It just does not work in native boot from VHD.

July 4th, 2010 3:56am

Turned out that my laptop cannot pass Windows extended memory test, stuck at 21%. It can pass standard memory test. I suspect the "cheap" memory i bought has something wrong.

I don't know if the memory issue has anything to do with the VHD native boot blue screen issue.

July 28th, 2010 5:09am

sorry for my questation . I want migrate vm w2008r2 from microsfto hyper-v to vmware ... How ? HOw I remove intgration servicies ??? I try run setup /uninstall but not afect . I try uncheck all check box in the setting VM , but not affect .. some solution ?

thanx

August 16th, 2010 9:17pm

any solution

August 19th, 2010 9:45am

Same problem here, some VMs that used to run on Hyper-V are still showing the services. I'll do some more research first, but I think I'll see if I can't get rid of the services using the "sc" command line tool ("Service Control"). "sc delete <nameofservice>" ought to do the trick.

March 15th, 2011 2:29pm

Microsoft are you listening?

I've recently run into an issue whereby my guest VM's simply ARP each other out of existence on the network - this was only happening on my latest 08-R2-Core+HyperV host and it's 08-R2-GUI guests, until I upgraded the integration services on some 08-GUI guests that were working fine on another 08-R2-GUI host - now for obvious reasons I have a need (or at least a want) to either uninstall and/ or revert.  I've been working with MS Tech Support for 5 hours and they suggested I install KB2264080 (which unfortunately for me is already installed and has NOT resolved the issue).  I'm using Dell Poweredge R610's with the Intel Xeon 5600 series processors.

I just think that if it's not part of the OS (as in a window option) you should have a way of removing these services.  Virtual environments are often used for testing, which typically involves multiple scenarios (one of which may include running with or without integration services).  If not simply for this and the other reasons people have mentioned below a simple add/ remove entry or at least a working uninstall switch would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

April 15th, 2011 3:18pm

A very very big thanks!

Removing the Hyper-v role from the guest solve my problem.

April 15th, 2014 8:02pm

I solved the same issue as follows 

on drive of the integration services i explorered E:\support\x86\ and double clicked Windows5.x-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.msi   and restart the VM machine.

November 1st, 2014 9:23pm

Hi,

As John mentioned, the Integration Services is a part of the operating system, so you cant remove it, and you dont need to remove it, the files are there no matter your system installed on a physical computer or virtual machine.

By the way, I only heard of P2V, never V2P. You need to notice that the migration from virtual machine to physical may not work.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Incorrect. You DO need to be able to remove them. Consider this.

1. VM is running the latest version of integration services
  2. VM O/S dies
  3. You restore your server from a backup using HIR restore
  4. HIR restore matches your network card driver and installs an earlier network card driver (in my case 3.2)
  5. Network card fails to start when you boot VM

There is no possible way to install the latest network card driver because Integration Services says it is up to date, but it is not up to date, it has version 3.2 of the network card drivers installed, not version 5. Uninstalling the network card and reinstalling does not fix the problem.

There is no solution except to reinstall Windows.

June 21st, 2015 10:44pm

Hey all,

Trying to upgrade the virtual machine from Server 2008R2 to Windows 2012 R2 - usually you are suppose to uninstall the integration services on Hyper-V for windows 2003 upgrades, is this not the case with Server 2012R2 ?

That's how I got to this thread... and attempting the above simply re-installs the integration services. I've run the /uninstall command directly from an admin command line from the Hyper-V console and no luck. I also checked the Roles on the guests OS and found no mention of Hyper-V. Only Role listed was DNS, and nothing under "Features" as well.

Regards,

Frey
  • Edited by TheFreyMan 3 hours 38 minutes ago Additional Clarity
August 10th, 2015 11:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics