Uninstall Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch?

• Edited by jaybrubin1 Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:42 AM
December 30th, 2012 12:41am

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 30th, 2012 12:44am

hello

Strange post yours.. nice pictures :)

i just guess why ?

December 30th, 2012 3:55pm

Hi,

Firstly, would you please let us know the purpose of uninstalling Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch.

Meanwhile, Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch is installed automatically when we install Hyper-V role.

For more information about Hyper-V Virtual Switch, please refer to:

Hyper-V Virtual Switch Overview

Hyper-V: Virtual Networking Survival Guide (en-US)

Hope this helps.

December 31st, 2012 9:06am

And, you don't even have to uninstall Hyper-V to remove the switch.  You just remove the switch from within Hyper-V and the switch is no longer there.

As stated earlier, even though it is said that a picture is worth a thousand words, a few words about why you posted the pictures would be very helpful.

What you have shown is by design.  When one creates a Hyper-V virtual switch on a physical NIC, the existing protocols that are bound to that NIC are removed and the virtual switch protocol is placed on the NIC instead.  This turns the NIC into a virtual switch so that it can behave like a switch, providing multiple ports for virtual machines and the host to connect to and communicate over.  Virtual NICs that are connected to the virtual switch take on the typical protocols that you would normally see on the physical NIC.  The links that Jeremy posted provide a great deal of information on this.

December 31st, 2012 1:39pm

So you have a Physical NIC, and you create a Hyper-V Virtual Switch.  All existing protocols are removed from the Physical NIC, and only the Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch is selected.  Six months later, you have decided to use NIC Teaming, and Virtual NIC Teams to provide for your Hyper-V Virtual Switches.  So, you want to revert the original Physical NIC back to its "Pre- Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch Only" configuration.  You have decided that this particular NIC you are going to use for Management purposes, and all other NICs you are going to team together etc.  So, how would one go about reverting this particular connection to its original state?  In this instance, I do not want to Uninstall the Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch Option (nor do I want to uninstall the HyperV role), but I want to revert this Physical NIC back to its original state.  Let me clarify that I think this is what the poster is actually asking...  Is there any way to do this?
July 1st, 2013 4:19pm

Nevermind:  Deleted Virtual Switch associated with Physical Nic; Deleted the Physical Adapter from Device Management and then Scanned for Hardware changes.  Physical Adapter was found, and settings were back to their original state

July 1st, 2013 5:34pm

This is the best answer.  I cannot say anything more to those community support who are always making standard and canned answer.
September 5th, 2015 7:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics