Uninstall/Reinstall Windows Media Player on Server 2008 R2
My windows media player doesn't work right. It doesn't add music to the library, but it will add the playlists. I can manage all of the libraries except for the video library. That one, when I click on it nothing happens. My thought is that if I can uninstall and reinstall WMP then I can fix whatever files or registry settings are messed up that might be causing my problem. My setup is that I have another server (Server 2008 R2) with all of my media on it. I have two machines. A windows 7 machine, which works fine for media player, and this one (server 2008 R2) that I use as a workstation that I am having trouble with. I've tried several things that I have found from searching the internet from installing OptionalFeatures.exe and turning off the media player and turning it back on found here: http://www.thewindowsplanet.com/869/how-to-uninstall-reinstall-windows-media-player-12-windows-7.htm I just had to install the Optionalfeatures.exe from a Windows 7 disc to do it. But as on of the posts states, that doesn't uninstall, it just disables it and brings back the same installation with flaws and all. I've tried removing the media player files in this directory: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\ I've checked the event logs to see if there is an error or warning happening, but nothing comes up. I installed another media playing application and it works just fine. I just don't want to use another one since I have playlists already setup in WMP and I'm comfortable with WMP. Nothing I do seems to work. Any Help???
January 26th, 2011 2:18pm

Hello, as Windows media player is installed with the Windows Desktop experience feature i think removing the feature may help. Unfrotunal this will remove ALL other tools also.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2011 3:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics