Unhandled exception when installing SQL Server 2008 R2
I tried to download SQL Server 2008 R2 Express it ran for about 30 minutes and then gave a Net Framework error stating that "an Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue....." Once I clicked Continue and it did continue to run and then brought up an info screen with no semblance of the download having worked. I had successfully installed SQL Server 2005 Express previously. I uninstalled it along with the Studio Manager. Do I need to uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and  .NET Framework 4 Client Profile which are still currently installed before I can install 2008? 
August 1st, 2010 9:21pm

Hi GMCdb,

"Installing .NET Framework 2.0 SP2: .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is not available as a separate download. You will need to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 which includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2."

I would uninstall them and reinstall .NET framework and try again, mainly .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is needed for SQL Server 2008 R2.

For more info please refer to the link below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

Hope this helps! 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 1st, 2010 11:23pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for responding.  Would I need to uninstall .NET Framework 4 Client Profile too?

Also, I'm concerned that uninstalling .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 may cause other problems on my computer. Is it used by anything else besides SQL? By the way I forgot to mention I'm running on Vista.

Thanks,

GMCdb

August 2nd, 2010 4:02am

Hi GMCdb,

Please refer to the link I showed you previously.

I would double check to see if I have all the required components then try again.

If you still experience issues then I would "reinstall" .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 , or .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.

There is no special requirement for Vista, but in general you should install SQL Server Express that match with your OS (64-bit vs. 32-bit)

Hope this helps!

"2SQL Server Setup will not install the following required components for SQL Server Express ,SQL Server Express with Tools, and SQL Server Express with Advanced Services. You must install these components manually before you run SQL Server Setup:

• SQL Server Express — .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and Windows installer 4.5. On Windows Vista SP2, use .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

• SQL Server Express with Advanced Services — .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Windows Installer 4.5, and Windows PowerShell 1.0.

• SQL Server Express with Tools — .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Windows Installer 4.5, and Windows PowerShell 1.0."

August 2nd, 2010 6:14am

Sorry I have to reopen this. But I have a similar, but not the same problem.

I have Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, with VS 2010 professional on my notebook, quad core processor with 8gb of ram and plenty of disk space. I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer edition on my computer. .Net 4.0 was installed, as was .Net 3.5.1 (from the "Turn Windows Features On/Off" of Programs and Features Control Panel applet).

When I try to install, I get a Dialog labelled "Microsoft .NET Framework", then the error is "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click on Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. <p> An error occurred create the configuration section handler for userSettings/Microsoft.SqlServer. Configuration.LandingPage.Properties.Settings: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Version=4.0.0.0.Culture-neutral. PublicKey Token-b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (C:\users\myname\AppData\Local\Microsoft_Corporation\Landing Page.exe_StrongName_rspccglaxmt4nhlj5z3thycltsvyyx\10.0.0.0\user. config

I have removed .Net 4, I have removed .Net 3.5.1 and readded it, rebooting after each step.

any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

February 27th, 2011 6:40pm

I have the same problem. Have you gotten any help on this?
April 10th, 2011 5:40pm

I have Windows 7 PRO - wasted a weekend so far.   I haven't used MS products in a while.  I was hoping this would be a point and click.  After wasting many hours in MSDN, I assume .NET 3.5 SP1 is part of the OS and .NET 4.0 = .NET 4 Client Profile+.NET 4 Extended and therefore I have all of the required sw installed.

What I've found is that if I install SQL SERVER EXPRESS by itself, it installs and runs w/o the Browser by default.  whatever the browser does? 

If I try to install WT (with tools) or ADV (everything) I get the unhandled exception above.  I started with the WEB Stack and just wanted the Management Tool so I could create some tables. 

If you install without the Tools and then try to install Management Studio Express, it says there's a compatibility issue and says I need SP1 installed.  If you continue, it relaunches the SQL Server Express installation?

I'm not familiar with MS so this could be my problem....but I don't think so.  stinky

April 10th, 2011 11:42pm

I'm running.   I uninstalled everything.  I installed the ADV (everything)...I ignored the unhandled exception.  During the configuration, I made it where I could manually start the SQL Browser (important!).   When I brought up the studio, I could not connect/log in.   I set it up so mixed mode so I could try sa too.  I turned off all my firewalls.  I enabled the TCP/IP and Named Pipes and restarted the service...still no worky.   I tried to browse for servers, none showed up until I started the SQL Browser.  

April 11th, 2011 12:31am

The solution that I found for this problem was to delete the preexisting user.config file listed in the error and rerun setup. It then installed without incident.
July 22nd, 2011 8:57pm

Thanks to Ray: total time wasted.. 15 seconds.

July 31st, 2011 1:34pm

Yes.. I had the same problem, and wound up here on this thread. and actually, I have an HP Probook (notebook computer) , with a fresh copy of Visual Studio 2010 and sp1 just installed on it.. I went through 2 different sql server disks and same result..

What worked, was what Ray had said.. DELETE the User.Config file, located under the path the exception shows you under users\appData

Thanks.

October 10th, 2011 11:07am

Same as Byte - But I took 30 seconds.
October 16th, 2011 9:40pm

That was easy ;)  Don't you wish they all were!!!

December 23rd, 2011 2:56am

The solution that I found for this problem was to delete the preexisting user.config file listed in the error and rerun setup. It then installed without incident.
Perfect fast and simple solution, worked perfectly for me!
January 10th, 2012 11:56am

I want to kiss Ray!  That was it :o)
February 27th, 2012 9:35pm

J'ai fais cela et a fonctionne trs bien...
March 21st, 2012 5:27pm

Thanks Ray.
March 28th, 2012 11:34pm

I had the same problem and deleted the user.config file and now it's saying the "configuration system failed to initialize" now SQL express and SQL Management system won't work...
July 19th, 2012 12:18am

Wonderful solution, thank you.  Worked with my SQL 2012 install as well.
January 12th, 2013 12:02am

Can someone please tell me were I ca find the user.config file. I have the same problem with SQL 2008. Thanks.
February 12th, 2013 10:53am

Works perfectly, cost me one and a half hours..... thanks
July 2nd, 2013 4:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics