Understanding how routing on our system is working.
I have a windows 2003 SBS and am having trouble determing how the routing is handled, this was setup by someone else. We have a block of addresses x.x.x.x/64 which are routed to a MikroTik box. This is in turned forwarded to our SBS box. Doing a NBTSTAT -A shows the SBS local IP address 10.0.0.11. The SBS box has the DNS setup to forward certain address in the orginal block to a webserver IIS 6 (10.0.0.12)where mulitible website are hosted. x.domain1.com y.domain1.com x.domain2.com y.domain2.com which works correctly. In the DNS each host record uses a different IP address from the block above x.x.x.1/x.x.x.2/etc. Now what I am trying to determine is what is directing the x.x.x.1/x.x.x.2/etc addresses to the 10.0.0.12 address. I understand how the IIS translates them by host name. I was orginally thinking it was in the MikroTik box but it seems to forward all to the SBS box so I am now thinking the SBS is handling but I have not been able to find where those setting are made. Could someone give me some location to look in. It is not the DHCP and if it is in the DNS I can't find it. Thanks in advance, JohnJohn J. Hughes II
July 25th, 2012 6:00pm

Hello John, You can seek the help in Network Infrastructure Servers forum for better understanding the routing functionality of SBS environment and forum link is http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/threads Anyways forwarders/root hints of DNS server might gives you the information about routing on your system.Also your network team might had had all the information about the above design. Regards, Ravikumar P
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 25th, 2012 7:33pm

Hi John, If you run tracert on the domains both internal and external it should show you the various hops. e.g. command prompt > tracert x.domain.com Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
July 25th, 2012 10:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics