Understand User profile transitioning from physical to virtual environment using Server 2012 'user profile disk'
Hi, I realy want to understand the user profile transition cycle. Any inputs will be appreciated. Say, i have windows 7(domain joined) and a domain user account say 'user1' 1. I login to the windows 7 machine with domain account 'user1', it creates a domain local profile for user on that particular box. Now i change the profile to roaming ..what will happen here? Will the user profile data and settings (like my documents, favourits etc.) copies to roaming profile location from the box automatically? 2. Now i keep the roaming profile as is and i enable folder redirection also....now what will happen? Will the roaming profile data settings (like mydocument, favourits etc.) gets copied to the shared redirection folder? Is it a cut , copy from roaming to folder redirection or will it a copy paste? 3. Now eventually, move the user to VDI environment and implement 'user profile disk'...now what will happen? Will the roaming profile data and folder redirection data will be copied to 'user profile disk'? I am looking for the transitioning of a user from physical environment to desktop virtualization environment? and how the profiles settings move from physical to virtual environment and what would be the best way of doing such transitions. Regards, MSExpert
July 5th, 2012 10:58am

Hi, The user profile data will be copied to the roaming profile location.Folder Redirection will keep working as before after change to roaming profile.It will not. User Profile Disk. A major blocker for the pooled virtual desktop collection model has been lack of personalization: Since the pooled virtual desktop collection is based on a common virtual desktop template, the users personal documents, settings, and configurations would normally not be present. User Profile Desk was added to solve this problem for either virtual machine-based or session based desktop deployments. As the user logs on to different virtual machines within the pool or different RD Session Hosts within the session collection, his/her User Profile Disk gets mounted, providing access to the users complete profile. Since User Profile Disk operates at a lower layer, it works seamlessly with existing user state technologies such as Roaming User Profiles and Folder Redirection. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft articles and blogs: Managing User Profiles http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726990.aspx Best Practices for Folder Redirection in User Data and Settings Management http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784630.aspx Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop Services (RDS) http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2012/05/09/windows-server-2012-remote-desktop-services-rds.aspx Regards,Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 6th, 2012 1:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics