Unable to use Windows explorer to burn CD. Works for one admin and not the other..
Weird issue.. I have windows 2008 R2 ent installed.. Logged in as administrator and I am able to double click on the DVD drive and start the "Burn A Disc " wizard to burn the DVD. I created a local user under the administrators group and I am not able to see the blank DVD and not able to use the windows explorer to burn the DVD. It give me a error message : Windows can't read the disc in drive D:\Make sure tha the disc uses a format that windows recongizes.... Same exact CD, I did not even take it out of dvd drive. Under administrator it works, under a user that's within administrators group it does not work at all.. I thought it might be user account problem, created domain one and more local user to test, same result. anyone know what's going on ?
March 5th, 2010 9:18pm

Permissions use the MOST restrictive settings, so if the "local user" is part of "Domain Users" AND "Domain Admins", they will have no more rights than "Domain Users". Does that sound like what's happening?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 6th, 2010 2:35am

Thanks for trying, but that's not what's happening. I created a local user - User1 , this user belogn to administrators group. In theory, this user should have unrestrict power - I would assume that's CD burning function as well, but it is not.
March 7th, 2010 9:53am

Hi, I suggest changing your UAC setting to test the result. Logon the Administrator account, open Control Panel, open User Accounts, open Change User Account Control settings. Choose Never notify and click OK. What’s the result? Tim Quan - MSFT
March 8th, 2010 12:10pm

The result is still the same. UAC just prompt you but does not deny you, in my case, there is nothing at all, just as the dvd burning function does not exist and it does not recongize a blank media.
March 8th, 2010 6:47pm

Hi, Thank you for the reply. I suggest referring to this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/988dcab2-f8ec-404b-9e11-2f3c0116b8ef Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
March 9th, 2010 9:46am

thank you Tim, I knew it's something that R2 did.
March 9th, 2010 5:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics