Unable to take checkpoints in SCVMM

Hi All,

When I attempt to take a snapshot in SCVMM 2012 R2 on any of the virtual machines I get the following error:

"Error (12700)

VMM cannot complete the host operation on the X server because of the error: Checkpoint operation for 'server Y' failed. (Virtual machine ID 48C45A27-0E25-4D64-990E-45FF634BAF3A)

Unknown error (0x8001)

Recommended Action

Resolve the host issue and then try the operation again."

I then tried taking a checkpoint in Hyper-V but I get a similar vague error message:

"An error occurred while attempting to checkpoint the selected virtual machine(s).

Checkpoint operation failed.

Checkpoint operation for 'X server' failed. (Virtual machine ID 48C45A27-0E25-4D64-990E-45FF634BAF3A)"

So far I've done the following:

Installed the latest rollup version 6 on the SCVMM server and rebooted it.

I examined the SCVMM server event logs and found nothing unusual

I've tried Googling the error message but could not find anything meaningful. Has anyone got an idea of what could be causing the checkpoints to fail? I don't recall making any configuration changes to VMM recently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 26th, 2015 5:24am

Can anyone out there help me with this problem? I'm totally stumped so maybe someone out there could at least point me in the right direction perhaps?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 27th, 2015 4:52am

Can anyone help me with this?
May 28th, 2015 6:45am

Hi Sir,

I would like to check if it is hyper-v cluster which was managed by SCVMM and you stored that VM on a cluster shared volume .

If yes , please check whether or not the VM files was stored directly under "c:\clusterstorage\volumeX\" , if you realy did please create a folder then move all VM's files into the new folder then take snapshot again .

In addition , please uninstall any anti-virus software temporarily for hyper-v hosts .

Also you may try to create a new VM on hyper-v local disk then take the snapshot for test .

If the issue persists , please take a snapshot to reproduce the issue then check the VSS state via running following command (with admin privilege):

vssadmin list writers

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 11:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics