Unable to start default web site IIS 7.5
Hello, I am having some issues with IIS 7.5. I have a domain with a single domain controller. It also is hosting an Exchange 2010 installation. It has been running perfectly until yesterday. I am unable to start the default website, the Error message I am receiving is "This Web site cannot be started. Another Web site may be using the same port." I only have 1 site, and there is nothing at all listening on port 80, or 443. according to netstat -an. The Event ID I was found was Event ID 1007 — IIS Web Site Availability. I checked out the Microsoft support site and didn't really get anywhere with it. I am at a loss and really could use some help seeing I have employees unable to get to their mailboxes via Outlook Web Access. Any Suggestions? CrankyGeekCrankyGeek01
November 2nd, 2010 11:37am

Hi, Do you have any FTP server or other software that are webbased besides Exchange 2010? /MartinExchange is a passion not just a collaboration software.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2010 12:23pm

I do not have anything else running on this server, just exchange anda basic website. Exchange has installed itself as Virtual sites under the Default Website. There is only 1 site listed on my IIS admin panel and it refuses to start, telling me that another website may be using the port. I have checked with netstat and there is nothing listening on port 80.CrankyGeek01
November 2nd, 2010 12:31pm

The error suggest that you have another application listening on port 443 and because of that the Exchange Control Panel won't start up. Try and use the netstat on port 443 instead and report back. /MartinExchange is a passion not just a collaboration software.
November 2nd, 2010 1:06pm

Ok, I have looked through netstat again, and there in nothing listening on either port 80/443 neither of these ports are listed under TCP or UDP. It doesn't make any sense to me that the ports seem to be available and yet I can't start the website. I have rebooted a few times also. (just out of desperation). Thanks for looking into this, I do appreciate any and all help. CrankyGeekCrankyGeek01
November 2nd, 2010 1:19pm

Has there been any change to the server lately? What other software is running on the server? I recently saw a serv-u blocking the website from starting up. /MartinExchange is a passion not just a collaboration software.
November 2nd, 2010 1:36pm

I found the problem, for some reason another binding for 443 got installed into the default web site bindings, so there was 1 that stated 443 and pointed to no IP address, I removed it and left the original one there. Problem solved. although I have no idea how it got in there. I am the only admin, and the server just sits in a closet, doing it's thing. Very strange. Thanks for all your help! CrankyGeek01
November 2nd, 2010 1:49pm

Glad to help and thank you for posting your solution so others can benifit :) /MartinExchange is a passion not just a collaboration software.
November 2nd, 2010 3:39pm

Man, I could kiss you. Similar situation here. I had added Unified Messaging to Exchange 2010 and after that Exchange Management Shell and Exchange Management Console were not connecting. I've spent hours on this today.After reading your post I went into IIS Default Website bindings and I'll be damned... There was one entry for port 80 and TWO entries for port 443. I removed one of the 443 entries, restarted IIS, and everything is running again. THANK YOU!
June 26th, 2012 7:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics