Unable to see Win 2008 server via My Network Places
I have Win 2008 Std with AD installed. I'm unable to see the server in My Network Places as I do my Win 2003 servers. What have I done wrong?
March 12th, 2008 7:46pm

Have you enabled Network Discovery in the Network and Sharing Center?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 13th, 2008 5:38pm

Thanks for the reply....

Yes...however, it is not shown as "on". It is listed as "custom".
March 13th, 2008 5:57pm

Hello,

Yes, we should enable Network Discovery in the Network and Sharing Center first. Network discovery is a network settings that affects whether your computer can see (find) other computers and devices on the network and whether other computers on the network can see your computer.

There are three network discovery states:

On

This state allows your computer to see other network computers and devices and allows people on other network computers to see your computer. This makes it easier to share files and printers.

Off

This state prevents your computer from seeing other network computers and devices and prevents people on other network computers from seeing your computer.

Custom

This is a mixed state in which some settings related to network discovery are enabled, but not all of them. For example, network discovery could be turned on, but you or your system administrator might have disabled a firewall exception that affects network discovery

Network discovery requires that the dnscache (DNS Client Service), fdrespub (Function Discovery Resource Publication Service), ssdpsrv (SSDP Discovery Service), and upnphost (UPnP Device Host Service) services are started, that the Windows Firewall exception for network discovery is enabled, and that other firewalls are not interfering with network discovery. If some but not all of these are true, the network discovery state will be shown as Custom.

By default, SSDP Discovery Service and UPnP Device Host Services are disabled on Windows Server 2008. That's the reason why your network discovery mode is in Custom mode after you turn it on.

I recommend you check all servers' firewall settings firstto ensure the Windows Firewall exception for network discovery is enabled. After that, please check whether you could ping the other servers or access other servers via \\PCNAME.

If this works but you still can't see other servers in the Network Places, I recommend you try enabling ssdpsrv and upnphost services on your server and have another try.

Please also check the network location settings. Based on the network location you choose, Windows assigns a network discovery state to the network and opens the appropriate Windows Firewall ports for that state. If Public place location is chosen, this will keep your computer from being visible to other computers.

I hope this helps. Thanks

Regards,

Neo Zhu MSFT

March 17th, 2008 2:48am

I have tried all of these suggestions but I still cannot see the Win 2008 Server. Any other suggestions?
February 23rd, 2009 11:32pm

I am having the same problem, all the necessary services are running, network discovery on, firewall off, still can't see the Windows 2008 server from my xp machine nor can I see other domain computers on the 2008 server other than windows 7 machines.  All xp machines do have sp3 installed.  This is a problem and needs fixing !!!
February 24th, 2011 6:51pm

Thanks a lot  , your suggestion have resolved my issue.

January 11th, 2012 9:21pm

Thanks it works
January 11th, 2012 9:21pm

Dear Neo,

Thanks. I did this procedure and can browse domain for windows7 workstation. In that case i had to start/restart (Function Discovery Resource Publication Service), ssdpsrv (SSDP Discovery Service), and upnphost (UPnP Device Host Service) in windows 7 workstation. But in XP workstation

there is no option for (Function Discovery Resource Publication Service) and upnphost (UPnP Device Host Service) to start. in this case please help me how can I found xp client in domain .

Thanks and regards

S.M. Rabiul Islam

March 26th, 2012 3:36am

Hello,

I got the similar issue here, I can't see my shared folders on my Windows 2008 R2 server.

On investigation, I've learned that I need to enable SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host. However, in the services list, SSDP Discovery service "Start" greyed out. I can see under dependencies, that it requires HTTP.

Unsure what the problem is, I am running Web Service (IIS) role.

Any idea as to how I enable the SSDP Discovery service, when it's start button is greyed out in the services list? What am I missing?

*EDIT: Doh! Changed startup type from "Disabled" to "Manual", and I was able to start the services -- nevermind me, I'll see myself out :-)

Regards,

Anders.

• Edited by ideno Sunday, November 24, 2013 11:10 AM Fixed.
November 24th, 2013 10:35am

Worked!  Funny though, I didn't have to go through this with my 2012R2 server at work, just here in my home lab.
May 6th, 2015 10:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics