Unable to run ping / gethostentry from network share.
Hi, What could be the reason that running ping or tracert from a network share will not function? Running it from the a local drive does work. Running it from a share results in a prompt return to the dos-prompt while I expected to view the Usage-notes of the tool. Why this question? One of our customers is facing a problem with running a .net 4 application which executed a gethostentry method. This method fails with a No such host entry is available for server XYZ. We have created a test executable with only 4 commands: gethostentry for www.google.com, gethostentry for XYZ and for gethostentry for XYZ.DOMAIN.LOCAL. When we place this exe on the desktop of the server (windows 8 terminal server) we got 3 correct answers. However when we place it on one of the mapped drives of this server we get 3 failures on executing this exe. the failure is "No such host is known" Second, we have placed tracert.exe on the network share and also just running it in a dos-box without parameters will fail. Normally you should get the help info if you run it without parameters. This info will not show up. You will just get the dos-prompt. So, where should we look. Security? Networking? DNS? or...? Any idea's are welcome! Thanks in advance.
July 19th, 2012 10:27am

Hi Djuck, Thanks for posting here. > Second, we have placed tracert.exe on the network share and also just running it in a dos-box without parameters will fail. Normally you should get the help info if you run it without parameters. This info will not show up. You will just get the dos-prompt. Actually we will get same symptoms if copy it to any other place instead %SystemRoot%/system32. We are not programmer so not sure but guess that this application may have to coordinate with other system files (DLL for example) , path had been defined in its source code. In this case I believe this is not a networking related issue but will suggest to get help from MSDN forum and see if they can adjust it in order to make it portable which is able to be executed anywhere. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/categories/ Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Tiger Li TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 19th, 2012 10:14pm

Hi Tiger Li, Thanks for your reply and effort. Maybe the tracert tric is not a clue to the main problem (gethostentry). I have placed a copy of my tracert.exe on one of my networkshares and even renamed this copy into tracert2.exe. When I execute this tracert2.exe it works fine. However, in your situation it doesn't work. At our customer it also doesn't work. In my network, it works fine. We have tried it on a other network environment where it also doesn't work. So in my opinion I must forget the tracert issue and focus on the initial problem about getHostEntry running from a network share. Regards, Hugo
July 20th, 2012 2:54am

Hi Hugo, Thanks for the reply. I have created the test.bat with the content below: ping www.microsoft.com And, I put it in the local side and the network shared folder as well. After the tests with these two sides, I got the same and successful result with these two path. so, I think there might be something wrong with the .net 4 application developed from your side. However, I have little knowledge about this, the only thing I could do is to get this application and test it on my side. The command "gethostentry" is based on the application, and we could only test with the "ping" or "tracert" involved in the Windows system. And as I said, my test is successful, so I don't think there is any problem with "ping" from the shared path. Thanks. Best Regards, Annie
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2012 4:41am

Hi Hugo, Thanks for the reply. I have created the test.bat with the content below: ping www.microsoft.com And, I put it in the local side and the network shared folder as well. After the tests with these two sides, I got the same and successful result with these two path. so, I think there might be something wrong with the .net 4 application developed from your side. However, I have little knowledge about this, the only thing I could do is to get this application and test it on my side. The command "gethostentry" is based on the application, and we could only test with the "ping" or "tracert" involved in the Windows system. And as I said, my test is successful, so I don't think there is any problem with "ping" from the shared path. Thanks. Best Regards, Annie
July 23rd, 2012 4:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics