Unable to run commands on Windows 2003 SP2 server
Hi,I'm unable to run any of the commands through command prompt on one of my Windows 2003 SP2 server. Can any one please help me in resolving this issue..Thanks,sharath_bujji
February 1st, 2010 4:51pm

Hello what error message did you get? browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and click on command.com see if this is successfulIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2010 5:30pm

do you have a right to run it, if not you can change user to run it, for example adminsitrator.
February 1st, 2010 5:38pm

Hi Isaac,The error is "Not Recognised as Internal/ External Command"..However if I get into C:\Windows\system32 and run the commands, it works fine....and have the appropriate rights to run the commands.Why is it not working when we goto Run->Cmd ? Please help me resolve this as everyone are getting the same error messages..Thanks,sharath_bujji
February 1st, 2010 5:58pm

I'm an administrator and have appropriate rights..
February 1st, 2010 5:58pm

Just to understand, does the cmd window opens up when you type Run-cmd? or you just get the error? You might have a corrupt short cut..try thisGo to start, Programs, Accessories and right click on command Prompt properties..what does the target location says?Also try run->%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exeIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
February 1st, 2010 6:11pm

Hi ,when you said " Please help me resolve this as everyone are getting the same error messages" you mean everyone else on other PC ?if so you would have configured a gpolicy / local policy to block run ( "prevent access to command prompt" ) or i have seen deployments where users were using 3rd party utilities to lock down the environment. Questions======Is this behavior happening to all computers in domain Is this behavior happening in work group Is this behavior happening to all logins
February 2nd, 2010 9:10am

Hi Sainath,"Everyone" here are the administrators who login to the server and try to run commands through command prompt. And,, we have no policy set to prevent users from accessing the command prompt.Is this behavior happening to all computers in domain -- NoIs this behavior happening in work group -- NoIs this behavior happening to all logins -- Yes on that server - whoever logs on to the server can't run the commands from Run -> cmd..However if we start using the command.com from C:\Windows\System32 - it works fine..P.S. The command prompt opens up but the commands like ping/ ipconfig etc..wont work.
February 2nd, 2010 9:52am

Hi sharath,I would go along with procmon eventhough its a bit tedious process to understand the permissions set .Run procmon and then reproduce the issue Run procmon and then reproduce the successful opening of cmd using c:\windows\system32 I would compare 2 logs to check what is getting changed.
February 2nd, 2010 10:06am

Hi,Does this behavior happen in safe mode? If so, I would suggest you take Sainath's suggestion to run procmon to analyze the process.If not, please perform a clean boot of the computer to see if the issue continues, follow the steps for your version of Windows. Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 To manually perform a clean boot of your computer in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK. 2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the following check boxes: o Process SYSTEM.INI File o Process WIN.INI File o Load Startup Items 3. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All. 4. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart your computer. Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
February 2nd, 2010 11:02am

Hi , Did you had a chance to go through the above suggestions , if you have further questions, please post back for further analysis.
February 5th, 2010 8:13am

hi sharath_bujji, this sounds like a path issue. you say it happens on one of the servers. does whatever command that you are running work on the other machines? if so, do me a favor and paste the output of the following command from a working and a non-working server: set path. the output should include two environment variables, path and pathext. if you can tell us, what application are you attempting to run out of a command prompt? there's something else that you can do as well to see if the application will execute from any path in command prompt. at your command prompt, type where and the command name (for instance where ipconfig.exe). where will only return the path to that executable if it is in the current path or a directory in the path environment variable. thx. /richhttp://cbfive.com/blog
February 5th, 2010 10:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics