Unable to run MMC snap-ins / services not starting
Hi, One of our Windows 2008 servers is behaving very strangely with the following symptoms: Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication service is stuck on "Starting" A number of MMC snap-ins will crash on startup - eventvwr.msc and the Exchange 2010 Management Console crash every time. The error that comes up is "Microsoft Management Console has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will now close the program and notify you if a solution is available." with an option to debug. If i click debug it says "No registered JIT debugger was specified". I can view the event logs remotely from another machine and there are a large number of these errors: Event Type: Error Event Source: Application Error Event Category: (100) Event ID: 1000 Date: 14/04/2011 Time: 08:32:53 User: N/A Computer: cherami.mydomain.local Description: Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 7.0.6002.18005, faulting module 49e03238, version mscorwks.dll, fault address 0x2.0.50727.5653. Event Type: Error Event Source: .NET Runtime Event Category: None Event ID: 1023 Date: 14/04/2011 Time: 08:32:53 User: N/A Computer: cherami.mydomain.local Description: .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.5653 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (000007FEF21B6D36) (80131506) I have already tried repairing .net framework 3.5 and 4 from Programs and Features and also run sfc /scannow to repair the /net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 components Can anyone help me find out what is wrong? Thanks, Kit
April 14th, 2011 3:48am

I am having the exact same problem and have not been able to find a resolution. Someone Please help!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2011 4:22am

I should add that I've discovered that Powershell and Add Features crash in the same way as Event Viewer
April 14th, 2011 4:25am

I connected to my event viewer from a remote PC because on the local PC it just crashes and my .NET errors started on the 13th after installing some security updates, have you installed any updates lately?
April 14th, 2011 4:50am

I'm investigating that now - yes some updates were installed yesterday and the day before so i'm removing the.net Framework updates one at a time to see if it resolves anything. Also I found this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957541 which descibes a similar issue. I'm going to try that out if I dont get anywhere with the updates. Please keep me posted if you find anything!
April 14th, 2011 5:02am

Definitely an update from yesterday - I didn't have time to test exactly which one was the culprit as I have 150 folks breathing down my neck wanting their email back up, so I took them all off and after a reboot everything is back to normal again. Whew! I'll put them back on again tonight one by one and report back. Kit
April 14th, 2011 5:54am

Yes, I had 10 updates from yesterday that I uninstalled rebooted and everything is back to normal.
April 14th, 2011 6:25am

Just jumping in to say I had this same issue.. hopefully there's a reasonable resolution.
April 14th, 2011 8:04am

We had this issue this morning....appears to be related to KB2449742. After removing that update and rebooting services functioned as expected.
April 14th, 2011 9:49am

We have got the same Problem although this problem doesn´t occure on all our Exchange Servers on one of them we are not able to start the Exchage Management Console nor the Eventviewer and so on. I confirm. Deinstalling Patch KB2449742 and everything works fine again. regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
April 14th, 2011 10:47am

Ditto on the response. I Removed Patch KB2449742 and everything works fine again.
April 14th, 2011 11:36am

I concur with removing KB2449742. On 13 April, all aspects of our Exchange 2010 server were functioning normally. On the evening of 13 April, applied 13 patches associated with Update Tuesday and after restart found issues immediately. First was that the IS service would not start and after we got that to start, the MS Exchange Replication service did not start. When attempting to restart that service, its state remained as "Starting" and never deviated. We restarted the server again and that service remained in a "Starting" state--never completing the startup process. However, mail flow appeared to be functioning properly. On 14 April, I observed a couple of things that were very uncharacteristic with our environment... 1. Received calls from BlackBerry users that they were receiving password validation emails. Upon validation of their email passwords, the process failed and could not receive/send from their devices. 2. Many OWA users could not stay connected. Upon a successful sign on they either would be booted/logged off or when sending messages the send process (including spell check) would take several minutes and on some never completed. As a result, OWA was less than fully functional. 3. Outlook 2003/07/10 internal users were experiencing connectivity issues. These issues ranged from not being able to send/receive to being prompted occasionally for their credentials. 4. Our Outlook for Mac 2011 external users received a surprise in that their client would not connect to the OA service and would not sync at all. 5. On the single Exchange server we have, Event Viewer would open but then crashed. The same results were experienced with Server Manager, Windows Update and EMC. 6. Performance on the Exchange server was unbearably sluggish and non-responsive and logon times (on the server) were prolonged well beyond normal. I had contacted MS support in the early afternoon on 14 April and after some explanation to ramp up the support tech on the situation we looked at the recently Installed Updates via Programs and Features. The tech stated that we needed to remove KB2449742. OK. Upon removal and restart of the server, all of the above results of applying KB2449742 were gone. Now, I have happy users again. I have to say that I wish I had a sandbox to play with some of these patches before deploying them. I know, I know. But that’s what you do when your budget is limited. I appreciated the fact that the resolution was simple enough but do not appreciate the fact that I wasted a day troubleshooting--thank you Microsoft. And as I look this morning, the patch is still available for download without any caution or caveat. I plan to stay far away from this update until I am otherwise persuaded that it will play nice with our Exchange server.
April 15th, 2011 11:49am

Removing update KB2449742 worked for us as well. We were having a similar issue.
April 15th, 2011 11:59am

Hi Todd, a sandbox doesn´t solve this specific problem, because we have got about 15 Exchange 2010 Servers and not all of them have the described problem. So I´m not sure what is really the cause of this because the patch works fine on some servers and has causes problems on some otheres. regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
April 17th, 2011 2:28pm

Yes, there were several issues reported after installing .Net 3.5 security updates. http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/03/11/mmc-could-not-create-the-snap-in-18ea3f92-d6aa-41d9-a205-2023400c8fbb.aspx
April 20th, 2011 3:32am

Can you try going over this link and see if it fixes the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2540222 Thanks
May 4th, 2011 3:06pm

I had similar problem on Win2008 Exchange SP1: eventvwr.msc crash powershell crash... may be all mmc snap-in crash. Problem seems to be due to KB979744, resolved by applying patch http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/KB979744/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=3993 /!\ MS recommand to not desinstall the corrupted KB979744/!\ Thx all for the help find on this post !
May 9th, 2011 10:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics