Unable to remove failed host from VMM 2012

I have two 2012 hosts that failed and I removed them from the cluster but I am cannot remove them from VMM 2012. They have a status of pending and when I try to delete them I get prompted for my credentials but after I hit ok nothing happens.

July 25th, 2013 2:55pm

If you look in your jobs view, you should see the Remove-SCVMHost task, along with any error messages about why it failed.  If you are unable to resolve these, you can attempt to force a host removal with the following VMM powershell command. (Be sure to launch powershell from the VMM console)

Remove-SCVMHost myhostname -Force

Note that if you remove with the -Force option, you will need to manually remove the SCVMM agent from the Hyper-V host (via Add/Remove programs) if you want to add the host to management again.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Hilton

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 26th, 2013 2:26am

Thanks for the response Mr. Hilton but I have tried every powershell and command prompt command that is listed as a solution I could find. The problem is that those two servers are gone, I have completely removed them from our environment. 

When I had issues like this with my 2008 r2 cluster where missing hosts or guests lingered in SCVMM as a last resort I would remove the cluster from SCVMM. Of course I would not remove the actual cluster from Cluster manager and I would re-add the cluster to SCVMM. Is this a viable option in SCVMM 2012?

July 26th, 2013 10:51am

Yes. Apologies, I didn't see that the hosts were part of a cluster.

If forcing a cluster refresh doesn't fix the issue, then yes - remove the cluster from VMM and re-add it as a last resort.

Cheers, Hilton

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 26th, 2013 11:15am

Thanks Mr. Hilton! 
July 26th, 2013 11:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics