Unable to remove Run As Account

Good Day,

I installed SCVMM 2012 Service Pack 1 (3.1.6018.0) using a mixture of my domain account and a service account specifically created to run SCVMM.  I recently changed my domain password and it keeps getting locked out.  I found that I had an old RunAs account in SCVMM, and I removed all the consumers it would show me.  Now I still cannot remove the account because of a message at the bottom of the Consumers window that displays:

! One or more consumer objects could not be retrieved because they exist outside of your scope.

Now I am the administrator of this machine and I'm a member of the Administrator role, so I'm really not sure what could exist outside of my scope.  How do I find it so that I can get to the point of removing my Run As account from SCVMM?

Thanks,

Joe

June 7th, 2013 5:42pm

Hey Joe - I actually see the same information message in my runas account. I'm going to investigate this weekend and see if I can come up with something.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 7th, 2013 6:36pm

Joe - Can you run the "Get-SCRunAsAccountConsumer" command and specify your runas account and see what comes back? Mine came back with an extra listing (in addition to the consumer list in the GUI) of an old service deployment that no longer exists. I'm thinking you may have something similar.
June 7th, 2013 6:59pm

Thanks Ted.  I get the following output:

Name              :
RunAsAccount      : Joe Star
ConsumerObject    :
ServerConnection  : Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.Remoting.ServerConnection
ID                : 54af8134-86d5-455a-8553-7dfb9433497e
IsViewOnly        : False
ObjectType        : RunAsAccountConsumer
MarkedForDeletion : False
IsFullyCached     : True

So it's a null or empty consumer?  This is the command I ran to get that:
get-scrunasaccount -name "Joe Star" | get-scrunasaccountconsumer

Thanks,
Joe

June 7th, 2013 7:16pm

Hmm. I may have to research a bit more. I didn't have any where the ConsumerObject property was blank. Let me poke around.
June 7th, 2013 9:45pm

Mine turned out to be a SQL profile that I had set up a while back. My suggestion would be to go through your Library and look through all the profile types and see if you have anything lingering there.
June 8th, 2013 5:47pm

THanks, but I don't have any profile types and I haven't found any other dependencies when looking around SCVMM.  I appreciate the help though!

Joe

June 11th, 2013 6:10pm

I was running into the same issue.  The symptoms I was having matched your scenario with the ConsumerObject showing blank when I ran Get-SCRunAsAccountConsumer.  After combing all through VMM and confirming it wasnt part of another object I decided to dig deeper.

To fix it, I open the SQL Server Management Studio with proper rights.  Queried the tbl_RBS_RunAsAccount table for the account I was wanting to remove.  Once I had the account, I used its RunAsAccountID as a key for the tbl_RBS_RunAsAccountConsumer table.  Within this table there was an entry that matched and I removed it.  After this was done the Get-SCRunAsAccountConsumer showed that there was no consumers attached to the id and then I was able to remove the account from within VMM.

Note: I would not recommend doing this in production environments.  The only reason I was comfortable doing this was because I knew how I created the issue and this was in a lab environment.  The issue was caused by having to force remove a vCenter that had been destroyed.  The account I was needing to remove was tied to this vCenter.  I should have removed the account prior to forcing the removal of the vCenter.

June 20th, 2013 8:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics