Unable to ping windows 2008 server
Hi, I am having problems with 2 new win 2008 server that I have created within my virtual environment. Basically I have a win2008 domain with 3 win 2008 servers in it, all work fine and can talk to each other. I then have another win 2003 domain which is a child of the win 2008 domain. Within the 2003 domain I have 2 new win 2008 servers which don't appear to be resolving DNS entries correctly, I can't ping them from other servers although I can ping other servers from them. I have one DHCP server which is the 2008 DC in my parent domain, I have staticllay assigned an address to one of the servers to see if this was the issue, which it did successfully but still no joy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Andy
August 11th, 2010 3:26pm

Hello, is the firewall on the Windows server 2008 preventing ICMP protocol?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2010 3:43pm

Hi, Probably a stupid question but how do I go about checking and possibly changing that? Thanks
August 11th, 2010 4:08pm

Hello, check within Administrative Tools - Windows Firewall with Advanced Security - Inbound/Outbound Rules - Scroll down to File And Print Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-IN/OUT) or if needed IPv6 for both.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2010 4:17pm

This is brilliant and fixed the problem, thanks!
August 11th, 2010 4:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics