Unable to ping/resolve local machine name when all network adapters are disconnected
It has been a while since I tried to do this but I do not remember having to do anything special to make this work. I have Windows 2008 R2 server running on a laptop that is part of a demo of our product solution. It is usually the server for all other devices connected so it has DNS services enabled. We have a new demo where everything runs only on this server laptop so all network devices are disconnected and DNS services are disabled. With all network devices disconnected I cannot ping the local machine name. I am able to ping the 127.0.0.1. Also, ipconfig only shows an IPv6 address. I have tried installing the Microsoft Loopback adapter and enabling the DNS services again but the results are the same. Is there something else I need to do (or remove/disable) or does this setup just not work anymore on Windows Server (really doubt that though)?
July 7th, 2011 9:08am

Hi mdblackadder, Thanks for posting here. So what’s the DNS server entry you set for the loopback adapter ? you should set to use the loopback address as the DNS server address entry and also make sure DNS service are listening all interfaces : Restrict a DNS server to listen only on selected addresses http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755068.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2011 3:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics