Unable to migrate VMs to another host in cluster: Hyper-V state is yet to be initialized from the virtual machine configuraiton

Trying to migrate VM to different host in same cluster. Getting error:

Operation not allowed because the replication state is not initialized.

Virtual machine migration operation for 'VM' failed at migration source 'HV03C'. (Virtual Machine ID )

Operation not allowed for virtual machine 'VM' because Hyper-V state is yet to be initialized from the virtual machine configuration. Try again in a few minutes. (Virtual Machine ID)

I have tried several different times today and same error.

Hosts are configured for live migration using compression method. Have not configured Contrained delegation.

November 20th, 2013 11:32pm

Is this a VM that is part of Hyper-V Replica?

I assume you are using VMM 2012 R2 since you have enabled compression, but can you also verify that the authentication method for live migration is set to kerberos (yes - vmm will handle this for you).

-kn

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 26th, 2013 9:38pm

Yes we are using VMM 2012 R2 and the hypervisors are Server 2012 R2 configured in a fail over cluster.

Authentication method for live migrations is set to CredSSP currently.(default)

November 26th, 2013 10:15pm

i'm also having the same problem.

did you manage to fix this

December 28th, 2013 6:57pm

Why are you using CredSSP? Can you change the authentication to kerberos and retry the operation?
December 30th, 2013 4:52pm

Same problem here. I have used CredSSP and kerberos. originally one was set to one and the other to the other ( I think because I had to remove and re-install Hyper-v on one of my cluster nodes yesterday) but I changed  them to match and the problem still exists. I will let it sit for a little bit and try again to see if it just needs some time to think about it. Will follow up in a little bit with my results.

December 31st, 2013 10:49pm

This may not help, but had the same issue today and I shutdown the guest os and then retstarted the hyperv service on the host that the vm was currently on and like a typical MSFT item, it works now... makes no sense.

Thanks,
Joe

How many times did you reboot , 3 time, always 3 times web dude.

January 1st, 2014 12:10pm

I solved this yesterday in my clustered environment. Turns out I was having an issue with my MPIO. Once I fixed my MPIO configuration it worked. I ran Cluster validator and it gave me errors in my storage for a duplicate disk so I checked my MPIO configuration and there was the problem... 

Don't know if this will help you but there was my answer....

January 3rd, 2014 10:04pm

I solved this yesterday in my clustered environment. Turns out I was having an issue with my MPIO. Once I fixed my MPIO configuration it worked. I ran Cluster validator and it gave me errors in my storage for a duplicate disk so I checked my MPIO configuration and there was the problem... 

January 4th, 2014 1:04am

This may not help, but had the same issue today and I shutdown the guest os and then retstarted the hyperv service on the host that the vm was currently on and like a typical MSFT item, it works now... makes no sense.

Thanks,
Joe

How many times did you reboot , 3 time, always 3 times web dude.

That worked for me also.

In my case, I was trying to confirm that I can LM (Live Migrate) my VMs between cluster nodes (Hyper-V 2012 r2) before I add them as roles to the cluster. I couldn't LM or "just" move them (aka Quick Migrate) when the VMs were off due to the OP's error. I used Server Manager to connect to each of my 2 nodes (since they both had the problem) using "Computer Management" to restart the "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management" service (it's the only Hyper-V service that's reported as running). After that, I could LM and QM back and forth perfectly.

Unfortunately, I still can't LM once the VM is added as a role to the cluster. (LM'ing fails with Event IDs 21502 and 21111.) So after all I've done, I'm only back to where I began: A cluster that passes all validation tests, but can't LM.

January 18th, 2014 5:46pm

Restarting the Hyper-v service worked fine.
January 31st, 2014 8:12am

Hi All,

I have 2 nodes in cluster.

When the VM is not running, I can move the vm from one host to another.

However, if the vm is running, if i shutdown one server, the vm failed to be transferred to the other live node.

Networks same name as suggested by some on the web.]

event id reported repeatedly - 1069 & 21502

Any advise please.

Thanks

• Edited by Ravmohun Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:43 PM
  • Proposed as answer by Ravmohun Tuesday, July 01, 2014 9:38 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by Ravmohun Tuesday, July 01, 2014 9:38 AM
June 17th, 2014 12:38pm

Hi All,

However, if the vm is running, if i shutdown one server, the vm failed to be transferred to the other live node.

Any advise please.

Thanks

Hi All,

Any advise please.

Thanks

Hi All,

Any advise please.

Thanks

"Restarting the Hyper-v service worked fine."

This resolved the problem for me too.

Stopping this service has no impact on the running virtual machines.

October 13th, 2014 9:57am

"Restarting the Hyper-v service worked fine."

This also resolved the issue for me.  For clarity, the service is "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management," and as stated above, restarting this service does not impact any running VMs on the host.

June 18th, 2015 11:00am

I had 2 VM's that wouldn't move with the error: "Operation not allowed for virtual machine xxxxxxxx because Hyper-V state is yet to be initialized from the virtual machine configuration. Try again in a few minutes." All other VM's on the host moved fine.

Restarting "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management" service worked for me too. Did not affect the VM's at all.

June 30th, 2015 4:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics