Unable to load the specified offline registry hive when rejoining the domain

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent member server that we needed to clone. So we removed it from the domain, cloned it, and when we went back to join it to the domain it we get a error:  

The Following error occurred attempting to join the domain:   Unable to load the specified offline registry hive. Please ensure you have access to the specified path location and permissions to modify its contents. Running as an elevated administrator may be required.

There is nothing in event viewer and no other error message then this. I can look at my domain controller and i do see a computer object is created but its like the member server either never gets the message that its done or it can't write to the registry.

I've disabled the firewall. I've tried to verify permission in regedit, to the best i know, and i still get this error.

We have also tried multiple local user accounts, multiple domain admin accounts, renamed the server, changed the workgroup its in. even ran a few registry cleaners.

Nothing works.  I need help since this server has to be online 6am Monday morning.

March 11th, 2012 8:59am

Since you mentioned that the server was cloned have you run sysprep prior joining the server to domain?

If the system were prepared by imaging ensure that sysprep is executed.Run sysyperp and the add machine to domain.
Please refer to the following two Microsoft TechNet blogs for more information.

The Machine SID Duplication Myth (and Why Sysprep Matters)http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

Sysprep, Machine SIDs and Other Myths
http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/12/03/sysprep-machine-sids-and-other-myths.aspx

Since you have mentioned that computer object is created,delete the same run sysperp and then try to add to domain.

The error message you have mentioned is more related to hive .|You can run sfc /scannow and check how does it work.

You can also replace the hive file(system,security,software) from C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Regback and copy the same to C:\WINDOWS\system32\config,you need to copy the same from recovery console,but use this as last point of restore.I would not recommend the to repalce hive if some critial service  is running on the server a simple mistake can lead to big headache.

Hope this helps.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 11th, 2012 9:06pm

Hi,

Yeah, please try to use sysprep first.

If the issue persist, please disable the UAC to test.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
Elytis Cheng

March 12th, 2012 3:14am

The problem is the original server will not rejoin the domain either. while i do get the same error on the clone. My other issue is the orginial was upgraded from 2008 to 2008R2 awhile back. I have been working on the clone and deleted the registry entrie that marks it as a upgrade, however when i run sysprep it tells me I have to be a administrator to run this application. i've tryed running sysprep as both the local admin and i created a new local admin and it still gives me the same error of you have to be a admin. 

at this point i just want one of them on the domain.

March 12th, 2012 3:19am

small update. it appears that when i removed the original server from the domain. the local administrator account did not keep its "admin" rights.  i know how weird that sounds but that's what it looks like. and creating a new "admin account does not help. so the issue could be with the Administrators group and permissibly not with the user account.
March 12th, 2012 4:03am

Hi,

To add the local administrators in the User Rights assignments

1) Start>Run>gpedit.msc
2) Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignments
3) Double click  on Back up files and directories and add the Administrators.
4) Double click  on Restore files and directories and add the Administrators.
5) Close  the window and reboot the machine.
6) Try to add the machine to the domain.

If  the issue persist, Reset the security database.

1) Open MMC
2) Add Security Configuration and Analysis tool
3) Right click Security Configuration and Analysis in the left pane
4) Select open database
5) In the new database, type in secnew.sdb, click ok.
6) Select setup defltbase.inf as the template to import from C:\Windows\inf, click ok.
7) Rightclick Security Configuration and Analysis in the left pane again
8) Select configure computer
9) Reboot the machine.
10) Try adding the machine to the domain.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
Elytis Cheng

March 12th, 2012 8:19am

I guess you can make it easy, just install the fresh OS on the VM and rejoin the machine to the domain. It looks to be either VM is corrupted or something seriously went wrong with the template creation.

http://briandesmond.com/blog/how-to-sysprep-in-windows-server-2008-r2-and-windows-7/

March 12th, 2012 9:19am

That did it, your a genius. and just in the nick of time to.

Thank you.

March 12th, 2012 1:54pm

Hi,

To add the local administrators in the User Rights assignments

1) Start>Run>gpedit.msc
2) Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignments
3) Double click  on Back up files and directories and add the Administrators.
4) Double click  on Restore files and directories and add the Administrators.
5) Close  the window and reboot the machine.
6) Try to add the machine to the domain.

If  the issue persist, Reset the security database.

1) Open MMC
4) Select open database
6) Select setup defltbase.inf as the template to import from C:\Windows\inf, click ok.
9) Reboot the machine.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
Elytis Cheng

March 21st, 2012 5:57pm

Thanks Paul for the follow-up. Fixed me as well! Cheers.
August 28th, 2012 4:12pm

Hi,

After made the below changes "Administrator" login not coming. Please help how to administrator login will come? Windows 7

1) Open MMC
4) Select open database
9) Reboot the machine.

Regards,

Raman

March 29th, 2014 10:22am

The accepted solution worked for me, thanks. I was suffering with one test server that made out of P2V from it's production server for my Hyper-V
September 9th, 2014 1:25pm

I applied this fix which solved my problem with a Windows 7 client computer .  Thank you very much Elytis Cheng.

August 24th, 2015 1:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics