Unable to install Windows Server 2003 OS on Windows 7 - As a dual-boot system
Hello Everybody,Recently, I have bought new laptop with Windows 7 already installed.I would like to install Windows Server 2003 on Windows 7, by making it dual-boot system.When I try to run the setup of Windows Server 2003, I am getting following error message:Setup unable to continue as newer version is already installed on your system.It is suggesting me to delete windows 7 but I would like to keep both OS.Awaiting for anybody's optimum response,Regards,Umesh
February 16th, 2010 12:13am

You can boot from the 2003 installation media to start the install. When you're done follow the steps in this article to repair the boot sector. Windows no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529 (always install operating systems on separate partitions) Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 16th, 2010 1:40am

Well Dave,Finally, I could solve the problem.Surprisingly, the problem was at BIOS level.SATA HDD controller mode was set to ACHI, changed it to Compatibility.And setup continued.At present, I am done with MS Windows Server 2003, MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0.All set.Anyways, thanks for your reply.Bye and take care,Regards,Umesh.
March 6th, 2010 8:48pm

Hi Umesh,Actually i have windows 7 64 bit version in my laptop. and i have made partitions my hard disk. i would like to install windows 2003 server on my machine. i have seen you post tht you have gone through same situation. so if i install windows 2003 server 32 bit on same machine . is it leads to any problems to r already installed windows 7 please suggest me how can i get successful installation
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 26th, 2011 11:25pm

This one should sort it. Windows no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
July 26th, 2011 11:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics