Unable to import the Exchange Server Powershell into IDE

People,

Can anyone here please assist me with how to successfully load the Exchange Server 2010 Powershell into the PowerGUI IDE ?

Because I got the following error below popping up: 

---------------------------
Error
The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.DiagnosticTraceLogging' threw an exception.
OK   

and this one from the console:

Add-PSSnapin : Cannot load Windows PowerShell snap-in 
Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010 because of the following error: The 
type initializer for 'Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.Globals' threw an exception.
At line:1 char:258
+ ... t -eq 0 } | %{ Add-PSSnapin $_ }
+                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (Microsoft.Excha...owerShell.E2010:String) [Add-PSSnapin], PSSnapInException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AddPSSnapInRead,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddPSSnapinCommand

I'm running Windows 8.1 and here is the Powershell table versions:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2014 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS H:\> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value
----                           -----
PSVersion                      4.0
WSManStackVersion              3.0
SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1
CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.34209
BuildVersion                   6.3.9600.17400
PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}
PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.2

February 26th, 2015 12:38am

You need SP 2 for Exchange to use PowerShell V4.  PS V2 is required for earlier versions.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 26th, 2015 1:04am

Here is a successful load with SP2 installed:

PS C:\Windows\system32> add-pssnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010
$psversiontable

Name                           Value                                                                                        
----                           -----                                                                                        
PSVersion                      4.0                                                                                          
WSManStackVersion              3.0                                                                                          
SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1                                                                                      
CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.18444                                                                              
BuildVersion                   6.3.9600.16406                                                                               
PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}                                                                         
PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.2                                                                                          

February 26th, 2015 1:11am

Sorry - It should be SP 2 level.

PS C:\Windows\system32>  Get-ExchangeServer  | select name,AdminDisplay*

Name           AdminDisplayVersion                                          
----           -------------------                                          
TEST01          Version 14.2 (Build

February 26th, 2015 1:15am

Hi JRV,

It is running SP3 now (the Exchange Management Console) that I'm installing and running in my Win 8.1 laptop.

February 26th, 2015 1:25am

You have to patch the exchange console on 8.1 not just the servers.

February 26th, 2015 1:27am

Hi Sir,

I would like to check the current state of this issue .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

March 5th, 2015 1:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics