Unable to get SQL Server Agent to run after installing SQL 2012 Standard with SP1

I am unable to get SQL Server Agent to run after installing SQL 2012 Standard with SP1. Log message is as follows:

Attempting to load library 'xplog70.dll' into memory. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
Failed to verify Authenticode signature on DLL 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\xplog70.dll'.
Error: 17750, Severity: 16, State: 0.
Could not load the DLL xplog70.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: (null).

• Moved by Tom Phillips 15 hours 4 minutes ago Installation question
March 25th, 2014 9:51am

Look at this

Someone had the same issue. Might help.  You might want to check in 

'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\

to see if you even have the xplog70.dll in there.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2014 12:42pm

Thank you for your reply.  I have verified the xplog70.dll is in the correct location.  The SQL Server Agent installed successfully under the built-in account local service.  However, it will not start under a domain account or the built-in account Local Service now.

I have tried the following resolution steps:

1. Switched the agent back to the built-in account Local Service

2. Ran a repair from the install media

3. Uninstalled and reinstalled SQL Server 2012 Standard with SP1

March 25th, 2014 2:14pm

Hi JFriedley,

According to your error message, there might three reasons for this issue.

1. xplog70.dll is corrupt, you need to check if you have any SQL Server running on same file version and same production  edition. If xplog70.dll is corrupt, you can copy it from the new server where agent is running fine to your problematic server.
  2. Native client not installed properly. If you try applying any latest Service Pack or Cumulative Update then check if the SQL Server Agent can start, if that also doesnt solve issue then try to reinstalling SQL Server Native client from SQL Server setup files.

There is a similar issue about error 17750, you can review the following article.
http://blogs.lostincreativity.com/sqldba/sqlserver-error-17750-could-not-load-the-dll-xpstar90-dll/

Regards,
Sofiya Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 26th, 2014 5:00am

Thank you for your reply.  I have verified the xplog70.dll is in the correct location.  The SQL Server Agent installed successfully under the built-in account local service.  However, it will not start under a domain account or the built-in account Local Service now.

I have tried the following resolution steps:

1. Switched the agent back to the built-in account Local Service

2. Ran a repair from the install media

3. Uninstalled and reinstalled SQL Server 2012 Standard with SP1

Do you have a working SQL server up and running at the moment? You could take the .dll from that machine and overwrite the duff one.

March 26th, 2014 5:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics