Unable to export registry
For some reason when I try to export any registry settings on my Windows 2003 and XP computers, Regedit crashes. This started a few months ago and the only thing I can find is when I run RegAlyzer (from SpyBot) I get an exception message "Access violation at address 762d7cdf in module 'comdlg32.dll'. Read of address 00000000.There are no other events in the event log or anything else that indicates an error. I have run virus and spyware scans and there is no malware on these computers. I'm thinking that something in a recent Windows update is causing this problem, but I'm not sure. Some computers in our network work fine, some have this problem (about 50/50).I've searched all of the blogs, but so far I haven't found anything that works. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Steve
October 2nd, 2009 3:10am

Hi slindley, Thank you for posting in windows server forums, windows registry is a database rather system defined database , this database holds all the application related info along with the configuration info. Example when you install any application , service, exe , the corresponding values gets stored in windows registry. More technically speaking its a data structure holding different values. And we use tools to view the database and please understand the regedit is just a tool to view the database and it allows you to modify the data stored on to the disk ( you might take an example of sql database and sql interface to manipuate the tables. ) So i would like to check the following a) does this issue happens in safe mode ?b) what happens when you perform a remote registry from a different client ? c) you can try replacing the regedit.exe on your server and test the behaviori would strongly think about some registry manipulation or a hijack / virus attack , please remember registry is important component of OS and many hackers try to hack the registry to manipulate your systemTry run the following below utilities.http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspxsainath !analyze
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 2nd, 2009 5:05am

Are you exporting certain branch or entire registry? There really isn't much use in entire export since it would be next to impossible to use for repair purposes. You might want to look at system state backup instead. Individual hive files can be harvested from system state and used for restoration purposes. For example you can restore system state to an alternate location, then use the recovery console to replace individual corrupted hives.-- Regards,Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.Microsoft Certified ProfessionalMicrosoft MVP [Windows]http://www.microsoft.com/protect"slindley" wrote:For some reason when I try to export any registry settings on my Windows 2003 and XP computers, Regedit crashes. This started a few months ago and the only thing I can find is when I run RegAlyzer (from SpyBot) I get an exception message "Access violation at address 762d7cdf in module 'comdlg32.dll'. Read of address 00000000.There are no other events in the event log or anything else that indicates an error. I have run virus and spyware scans and there is no malware on these computers. I'm thinking that something in a recent Windows update is causing this problem, but I'm not sure. Some computers in our network work fine, some have this problem (about 50/50).I've searched all of the blogs, but so far I haven't found anything that preciated!Steve
October 2nd, 2009 6:04am

Hi, How is your status now? In order to isolate the issue, please provide your exact steps while you exporting registry. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 5th, 2009 11:23am

Hi , Were you able to resolve the issue ?, if no please do let us know and follow the above steps
November 1st, 2009 5:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics