Unable to delete files/folders - Location unavailable
I have a windows 2008 server that we use for file storage. We have moved many old folders to a temporary archived area and now I am ready to delete those files/folders. I was able to delete about 99% of them but there are a few left. When I go to delete them, I get the following message, "Location is not available" "I:\students\_archive\CJSelbit2686\Brochure photos, etc refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location." How do I get rid of these files and folders?
September 13th, 2010 1:14pm

is it visible in explorer? can you delete it from explorer?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2010 1:21pm

I am trying to delete it from Windows explorer and that is the message that I get.
September 13th, 2010 1:25pm

Is the current location you're deleting from correct? I:\ Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
September 13th, 2010 1:26pm

Yes, it is. I am termed into the server and am working directly on the server.
September 13th, 2010 1:32pm

It's possible the disk may have errors or there may be file system corruption. You can download and run the diagnostic tools from the disk manufacturer. You can also run chkdsk /r from the windows recovery console. Be aware that chkdsk may attempt to repair file system at the expense of the files themselves. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
September 13th, 2010 1:34pm

can you drill down to the next folder up and delete? is the entire path bad or just the photos folder? can you map a drive to i$ from your workstation and delete the folder? what happens if you try to take ownership of the folder? what type of disk is the i drive? local, san, thumb drive - is i still available?
September 13th, 2010 3:00pm

I am running a chkdsk on the i drive right now, however I cannot set it to repair anything at this moment because there is a file share on the drive with many users connected so I cannot dismount the disk. At least I might be able to see if there are any issues there. Unfortunately, there are 450GB of data on the SAN disk so it is taking forever. I have already deleted all the other files/and folders in I:\students\_archive\CJSelbit2686 I just can't delete "Brochure photos, etc." I tried connecting from my workstation and it doesn't work either. I have taken ownership of the folder above it and propageted the changes down. However, I go to the security tab in the folder properties, I get this message: "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed." The i drive is a SAN disk and most things work fine just a few random folders that I need to delete so the scripts for moving new files/folders to the _archive folder can work again.
September 13th, 2010 6:14pm

I figured out how to remove those problem folders. Here is the command I used: I:\>RD /s \\?\I:\students\_archive\CJSelbit2686
September 14th, 2010 7:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics