Unable to delete a storage account

Hello,

I don't have technical support so I have to ask for help here. There is a premium storage account that I don't use. It contains one container and the container contains (oh well) one blob. I want to delete the entire storage account, but unfortunately I'm unable to do that.

Here's a message I get when I try to remove the account:

Failed to delete storage account lupineuwps1. Unable to delete storage account 'lupineuwps1': 'Storage account lupineuwps1 has some active image(s) and/or disk(s)

Completely understandable. Thus, I try to remove the container. The following error appears:

Failed to delete storage container media. {1}

Well, that doesn't say much. And here's the error I get when I try to remove the blob:

Failed to delete storage blob media/lupin-euw-vm2-20150604-xxxxxx.vhd. {1}

I haven't used that particular storage account for about a month now, yet it kees draining my Azure credit. Billing support wasn't able to help me.

What can I do?

July 3rd, 2015 5:05pm

Hi,

Scenario 1 :

A storage account cant be deleted if it has VHDs that are attached as disk. These disks are created when creating Azure IaaS VM and you might have deleted the VMs but the disks are still around with a lease on the VHD located in this storage account.

Below steps which will help you delete all VHD blobs and storage containers for your account.

Please follow the below steps :

1. Delete the necessary VM which has a lease on this VHD (If not already deleted).

2. Delete the associated disks/images, while deleting these, please ensure to select Delete the
associated VHD. You could also delete the VHDs manually.

3. Once the associated VHDs are deleted, you will be able to delete the storage account.

Scenaio 2 :

Login to Azure portal. 

Navigate to Virtual Machine -> Images.

Select the image : Annayak-1-8-1-0-1-Ubuntu-12-10. 

Delete the image. 

You can chose to delete the associated VHD. 

After deleting the VHD, you should be able to delete the storage account.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 4th, 2015 7:02am

Hi,

Scenario 1 :

A storage account cant be deleted if it has VHDs that are attached as disk. These disks are created when creating Azure IaaS VM and you might have deleted the VMs but the disks are still around with a lease on the VHD located in this storage account.

Below steps which will help you delete all VHD blobs and storage containers for your account.

Please follow the below steps :

1. Delete the necessary VM which has a lease on this VHD (If not already deleted).

2. Delete the associated disks/images, while deleting these, please ensure to select Delete the
associated VHD. You could also delete the VHDs manually.

3. Once the associated VHDs are deleted, you will be able to delete the storage account.

Scenaio 2 :

Login to Azure portal. 

Navigate to Virtual Machine -> Images.

Select the image : Annayak-1-8-1-0-1-Ubuntu-12-10. 

Delete the image. 

You can chose to delete the associated VHD. 

After deleting the VHD, you should be able to delete the storage account.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

July 4th, 2015 10:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics