Unable to connect to the internet - Server 2003 Ent Edition
I have a machine that I loaded Windows Server 2003 Ent Edition on it, but am not able to connect to the internet. I have the machine connected to a router, which in turn is connected directly to the internet source. I have also tried connecting it directly and that has not worked either. I have also checked for conflicts on the network card in device manager, and drivers are up to date. This machine has been able to connect previously, but after configuring domain controllers I have not been able to connect to the internet. Any ideas on how to go about resolving this issue? Thanks.New to the game
September 24th, 2009 10:29pm

Hi,Can you give us further information.1) What roles do you have on the server e.g. is it a domain controller, dns, dhcp ?2) What is the output of ipconfig (start -> run -> "cmd" -> "ipconfig /all" )3) What is the IP address / subnet mask of the router?4) Can you ping the router from the server?Regards,Mark
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 25th, 2009 12:24am

Hi, but after configuring domain controllers I have not been able to connect to the internet. >> Generally speaking, we set static IP addressfor the computer manually if we want to configure this computer to a domain controller. So I suspect whether the IP address you set on the domain computer is different on your router. By the way, please try Marks suggestions. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
September 25th, 2009 10:27am

hi , inline to vincent and marks suggestion , please do check the below a) please check if port 80 is blocked on your server ?b) haev you configured any firewall rules on the DC ?is this issue happening only on one of the DC or any other clients on the same subnet.sainath !analyze
September 25th, 2009 10:37am

Great suggestion Vincent...I double checked that and I noticed that the DNS was input incorrectly. However, when i changed that up and put in the correct info, it shows to me that i am connected but i still can't browse. Now, when I try to ping any IP, the request times out. However, I am able to ping my IP...so the machine is connected and recognizing the connection, it's just not connecting to the internet. And to answer Mark's questions after I had corrected the DNS info - it's a domian controller - for my LAN DHCP Enabled...no IP ....................207.70.135.243 Subnet .............255.255.255.0 Default Gateway...207.70.135.254 DSN...................207.70.128.240 207.70.172.240 ---so how can this machine be connected but still can't browse?New to the game
September 26th, 2009 1:02am

Hi,Can you ping the gateway address and an ping anoutside IPaddress and domain name?If you tracert an outside hostname and IP address - can you post the results.Regards,MarkThe post is provided AS IS and confers no warranties.
September 26th, 2009 9:27pm

My status shows that am connected, I have sent activity but 0 received. Hence why I am not able to browse. I tried to ping the gateway, or any outside IP but all the requests timed out. I also tried a tracert and all i get is that it is unable to resolve target system. ...any suggestions? New to the game
September 30th, 2009 9:17am

Hi Spawn10, Thanks for the info , ping gateway should not fail when your request is sent for external subnet or internet , when an query is made outside the subnet it should go through gateway so i would first diagonise the connectionAdditional checksa) please check the same behavior in safe mode with networkingb) try changing the switch port and test , might be a faulty hub which might be the problem c) try releasing and renewing IPaddress ( if you are using dhcp server )sainath !analyze
September 30th, 2009 9:45am

Hi spawn10, good day.. , thought of following up on the issue, did you had a chance to go through my earlier post ?sainath !analyze
October 5th, 2009 7:54am

Hi spawn10,did you had a chance to resolve the problem ?, if not please do let us know
November 1st, 2009 5:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics