Unable to connect to the Data Access service for this management server

Hate to raise a sleeping horse but was hoping someone might have some insight into why SCOM Report Server install is failing. I am using a domain account for SCOM 2012 R2 services in a distributive environment with 2 management servers and 2 SQL serversone for Ops db and one for DW db.  Install was failing on selecting the management server. Research led me to Kevin Holman's site. I followed his doc and SPN are set per your config and can telnet to MGMT1 on 5723firewall is off on all servers. I am a domain admin and scom.mgmt account (MSOMSdkSvc) is a local admin on the MGMT servers.

>setspn -l domain\scom.mgmt

Registered ServicePrincipalNames for CN=scom.mgmt,OU=Service Accounts,DC= domain,DC=net:

MSOMSdkSvc/SCOM-MGMT1

MSOMSdkSvc/SCOM-MGMT1.domain.net

MSOMSdkSvc/SCOM-MGMT2

MSOMSdkSvc/SCOM-MGMT2.domain.net

>setspn -l domain\scom-mgmt1

Registered ServicePrincipalNames for CN=SCOM-MGMT1,OU=SCOM,OU=INTERNAL,DC=domain,DC=net:

MSOMHSvc/SCOM-MGMT1.domain.net

TERMSRV/SCOM-MGMT1.domain.net

WSMAN/SCOM-MGMT1.domain.net

RestrictedKrbHost/SCOM-MGMT1.domain.net

HOST/SCOM-MGMT1.domain.net

MSOMHSvc/SCOM-MGMT1

TERMSRV/SCOM-MGMT1

WSMAN/SCOM-MGMT1

RestrictedKrbHost/SCOM-MGMT1

HOST/SCOM-MGMT1

>setspn -l domain\scom-mgmt2

Registered ServicePrincipalNames for CN=SCOM-MGMT2,OU=SCOM,OU=INTERNAL,DC=domain,DC=net:

MSOMHSvc/ SCOM-MGMT2.domain.net

MSOMHSvc/ SCOM-MGMT2

WSMAN/SCOM-MGMT2.domain.net

WSMAN/SCOM-MGMT2

TERMSRV/SCOM-MGMT2.domain.net

TERMSRV/SCOM-MGMT2

RestrictedKrbHost/SCOM-MGMT2

HOST/CHH-SCOM-MGMT2

RestrictedKrbHost/CHH-SCOM-MGMT2.osi-asp.net

HOST/CHH-SCOM-MGMT2.osi-asp.net

>setspn -l domain\scom-ssrs

Registered ServicePrincipalNames for CN=SCOM-SSRS,OU=SCOM SQL,OU=SCOM,OU=CHH-INTERNAL,DC=domain,DC=net:

WSMAN/SCOM-SSRS

WSMAN/SCOM-SSRS.domain.net

MSSQLSvc/SCOM-SSRS.domain.net

MSSQLSvc/SCOM-SSRS.domain.net:1433

TERMSRV/SCOM-SSRS.domain.net

TERMSRV/SCOM-SSRS

RestrictedKrbHost/SCOM-SSRS

HOST/SCOM-SSRS

RestrictedKrbHost/SCOM-SSRS.domain.net

HOST/SCOM-SSRS.domain.net

When I point to the MGMT server, I keep getting Unable to connect to the Data Access service for this management server. Ensure the Data Access service is running and that the service, the management group, and setup are all the same version.

OpsMgrSetupWizard.log states

Info:      :Could not connect to Management Server: scom-mgmt1.domain.net with exception: Threw Exception.Type: System.ArgumentException, Exception Error Code: 0x80070057, Exception.Message: Version string portion was too short or too long.

Info:      :StackTrace:   at System.Version.TryParseVersion(String version, VersionResult& result) at System.Version..ctor(String version) at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.IsManagementServerCurrentVersion(String managementServer) at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.CanConnectToManagementGroup(String managementServer)

When I searched on "Exception.Message: Version string portion was too short or too long" it led me to .Net strings in the reg. i deleted all refs to older versions (3.x) but still no good.

Bob

• Edited by rstoeckel Friday, October 17, 2014 6:40 PM
October 17th, 2014 9:34pm

Hi,

SCOM 2012 R2: Unable to connect to the Data Access service for this management server

https://mpgnotes.wordpress.com/2014/04/

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 17th, 2014 10:04pm

Hi,

As far as I know, when install SCOM management server, we don't need to set SPN first, I would like to suggest you follow the link below to install SCOM:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2013/10/18/opsmgr-2012-r2-quickstart-deployment-guide.aspx

It is suggest to create several domain user account used as SCOM service account, and please add them to local admin group on every server used in SCOM environment.

Regards,

Yan Li

October 21st, 2014 9:19am

Well, after getting InfoSec to grant "log on locally" rights to domain\scom.mgmt account (verified by logging onto mgmt server console), I logged onto the report server box using scom.mgmt account. I started setup with run as admin rights and it still failserror has not changed. So I would say logon rights has nothing to do with this issue. Yan, in my first post I did state that I am using domain accounts for the SCOM environment install. The scom.mgmt user account has admin rights to all boxes and works fine...used for Data access and data warehouse services. Everything is running just fine...I just cannot get the report server installshield to find the management server. SSRS on the report server works and tested by creating a folder. It is just the SCOM Reporting Server install that is bombing out...

[07:47:25]: Always:     :Entering Page: SelectManagementServerForReporting

[07:47:59]: Info:         :Could not connect to Management Server: scom-mgmt1.domain.net with exception: Threw Exception.Type: System.ArgumentException, Exception Error Code: 0x80070057, Exception.Message: Version string portion was too short or too long.

[07:47:59]: Info:         :StackTrace:   at System.Version.TryParseVersion(String version, VersionResult& result) at System.Version..ctor(String version)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.IsManagementServerCurrentVersion(String managementServer)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.CanConnectToManagementGroup(String managementServer)

[08:05:37]: Info:         :Could not connect to Management Server: scom-mgmt1.domain.net with exception: Threw Exception.Type: System.ArgumentException, Exception Error Code: 0x80070057, Exception.Message: Version string portion was too short or too long.

[08:05:37]:      Info:     :StackTrace:   at System.Version.TryParseVersion(String version, VersionResult& result) at System.Version..ctor(String version)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.IsManagementServerCurrentVersion(String managementServer)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.CanConnectToManagementGroup(String managementServer)

[08:05:42]:      Info:     :The user canceled setup

October 22nd, 2014 4:07pm

Hi,

Would you please check tips below and make sure your environment meets every tips.

• Operations Manager does not support hosting its databases or SQL Server Reporting Services on a 32-bit edition of SQL Server.
  • Using a different version of SQL Server for different Operations Manager features is not supported. The same version should be used for all features.
  • For SQL Server collation settings, see SQL Server in System Center 2012 R2
  • The SQL Server Agent service must be started, and the startup type must be set to automatic.
  • The db_owner role for the operational database must be a domain account. If you set the SQL Server Authentication to Mixed mode, and then try to add a local SQL Server login on the operational database, the Data Access service will not be able to start. For information about how to resolve the issue, see System Center Data Access Service Start Up Failure Due to SQL Configuration Change
  • If you plan to use the Network Monitoring features of System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager, you should move the tempdb database to a separate disk that has multiple spindles. For more information, see tempdb Database.

I would like to suggest you refer to the link below for more details about Preparing your environment for System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/dn249696.aspx

In addition, here is an article about how to install SCOM reporting server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh298611.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

October 23rd, 2014 5:02am

Operations Manager does not support hosting its databases or SQL Server Reporting Services on a 32-bit edition of SQL Server. ConfirmedMS SQL 2008 R2 (x64)

Using a different version of SQL Server for different Operations Manager features is not supported. The same version should be used for all features. ConfirmedAll three SQL box the same

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                    10.50.4000.0

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                6.1.7601.17514

Microsoft MSXML                                                         3.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer                                          9.11.9600.17280

Microsoft .NET Framework                                           2.0.50727.5485

Operating System                                                         6.1.7601

For SQL Server collation settings, see SQL Server in System Center 2012 R2 Confirmed

The SQL Server Agent service must be started, and the startup type must be set to automatic. Confirmed

The db_owner role for the operational database must be a domain account. If you set the SQL Server Authentication to Mixed mode, and then try to add a local SQL Server login on the operational database, the Data Access service will not be able to start. For information about how to resolve the issue, see System Center Data Access Service Start Up Failure Due to SQL Configuration Change Confirmed SQL Native authentication/Domain accountdbo on all db. DAS running on both MGMT servers under domain account.

If you plan to use the Network Monitoring features of System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager, you should move the tempdb database to a separate disk that has multiple spindles. For more information, see tempdb Database. Confirmed

All servers live on a VM clusters attached to enterprise Hitachi storage arrays.

I put Wireshark on the MGMT server and confirmed there was chatter between the MGMT and the RPT servers across ports 5723/5724 so I know the SQL SSRS server is talking to the MGMT server during the SCOM Report Server install. I just cant figure out why the install says it cannot find the MGMT server

Bob

October 24th, 2014 2:39pm

Hi,

Can you telnet the management server by its FQDN? Or ping the remote server by its FQDN?

Regards,

October 28th, 2014 4:52am

Ping & Telnet to FQDN of MGMT1 from the RPT server was successful to both 5723 and 5724.

October 28th, 2014 4:03pm

Hi,

Would you please reinstall your SQL and then re-install SCOM reporting server on this server?

Regards,

Yan Li

October 29th, 2014 4:31am

I just finished a clean default install of SQL 2008 R2 and SSRS and the URL http://scom-rpt1/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx works without issue after authentication...but of course SCOM Reporting Services fails at the Select Management Server section of the install with the exact same error

[12:03:28]:           Info:      :Info:User has agreed to EULA.

[12:03:29]:           Always:                :Entering Page: SelectManagementServerForReporting

[12:03:54]:           Info:      :Could not connect to Management Server: chh-scom-mgmt1.osi-asp.net with exception: Threw Exception.Type:                                                            System.ArgumentException, Exception Error Code: 0x80070057, Exception.Message: Version string portion was too short or too long.

[12:03:54]:           Info:      :StackTrace:   at System.Version.TryParseVersion(String version, VersionResult& result) at System.Version..ctor(String version) at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.IsManagementServerCurrentVersion(String managementServer) at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.CanConnectToManagementGroup(String managementServer)

Bob

October 30th, 2014 7:56pm

Hi,

Will you please check the collation requirements also?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2012/05/25/clarification-on-sql-server-collation-requirements-for-system-center-2012.aspx

In addition, please also go through the below article:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/10/04/system-center-data-access-service-start-up-failure-due-to-sql-configuration-change.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

October 31st, 2014 7:53am

Yan,

I read this link and since we used a Default SQL install, collation should not be the issue. This is stated in the link doc Historically, System Center products have been tested and supported with only the SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS collation. It is the default collation when you install SQL Server on an EN-US Windows Server. The article is also about Service Manager, not Operations Manager.

Your second link is for SCSM also. The problem is with Report Server installEverything else is up and working4 management servers, 2 SQL servers, a SQL running SSRS handling ACS. They all work fineit is just the install of Report Server that fails.

Without The Report Server up and running....the weeks spent getting this environment up is worthless.

Bob

November 13th, 2014 10:27pm

Well, after looking at all the db on the Report SQL server...sure enough...the collation on the ReportServer container is Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS! How does this happen? All the system db are SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS so how did this happen? The db is created and populated by the SCOM Report Server installsheild.

So how do I fix this issue...

• Edited by rstoeckel Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:19 PM
November 13th, 2014 11:10pm

Hi,

As we can see the collation is not suitable for SCOM reporting server

And based on my research, when installing SQL server be sure to select SQL collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. If OpsMgr has already been installed you will have to reinstall SQL and OpsMgr to change the SQL collation.

So we may need to reinstall it.

Regards,

Yan Li

November 14th, 2014 5:00am

You misunderstand, OpsMgr is running fine...it is the SCOM Report Server InstallShield that is the issue. It builds the the ReportServer db containers using Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS collation. When everything elase is installed using SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. This is not something under my control...it's the Microsoft InstallShield and the scripts it uses to build the ReportServer db.
November 14th, 2014 4:16pm

Well, Im back to trying to get SCOM Report Server up and running. This time I decided to try the command line silent install and rely on logs to debug. But it still fails.

This is the script: SETUP /install /InstallPath:D:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager /components:OMReporting /ManagementServer:<server>.<domain> /SRSInstance:<instance> /DataReaderUser:<domain>\<account> /DataReaderPassword:******** /SendODRReports:0 /UseMicrosoftUpdate:0 /AcceptEndUserLicenseAgreement:1

When I run the script, I get a pop-up: System CenterOperations Manager Setup has stopped working with the following:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01:                       setupchainerui.exe

Problem Signature 02:                       7.0.5000.0

Problem Signature 03:                       522a5b85

Problem Signature 04:                       mscorlib

Problem Signature 05:                       4.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06:                       53b4fc1e

Problem Signature 07:                       e4d

Problem Signature 08:                       5a

Problem Signature 09:                       System.FormatException

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.274.10

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  4911

Additional Information 2:                  49111a576c61a461b7f2900e4224563c

Additional Information 3:                  a1e6

Additional Information 4:                  a1e62e9c159c1d7601a31ccff83dbf94

App Event Log:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-01-29T19:02:39.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>4999</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SERVER NAME</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>Application: SetupChainerUI.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.FormatException Stack: at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.SetupFramework.Program.Main()</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

- <System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-01-29T19:02:41.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>5000</EventRecordID>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>SetupChainerUI.exe</Data>

<Data>7.1.10226.0</Data>

<Data>522a5b85</Data>

<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7601.18409</Data>

<Data>5315a05a</Data>

<Data>e0434352</Data>

<Data>000000000000940d</Data>

<Data>a64</Data>

<Data>01d03bf626a03a7a</Data>

<Data>C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\SCOM\Setup\SetupChainerUI.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>65be21be-a7e9-11e4-a4d7-005056966e1b</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

- <System>

<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-01-29T19:03:27.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>5001</EventRecordID>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data />

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>CLR20r3</Data>

<Data>Not available</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>setupchainerui.exe</Data>

<Data>7.0.5000.0</Data>

<Data>522a5b85</Data>

<Data>mscorlib</Data>

<Data>4.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>53b4fc1e</Data>

<Data>e4d</Data>

<Data>5a</Data>

<Data>System.FormatException</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

<Data>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_setupchainerui.e_9724aaa8eec4ffba07c27fea369e612e949d75_5b269652</Data>

<Data />

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>65be21be-a7e9-11e4-a4d7-005056966e1b</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

OpsMgrSetupWizard.log

[13:48:16]:           Error:     :Uncaught Exception: Threw Exception.Type: System.FormatException, Exception Error Code: 0x80131537, Exception.Message: Input string was not in a correct format.

[13:48:16]:           Error:     :StackTrace:   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)

at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)

at System.Convert.ChangeType(Object value, Type conversionType, IFormatProvider provider)

at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.SetupFramework.PropertyBagDictionary.GetProperty[T](String property)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.ValidateBureaucraticSwitches()

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.RationalizeCommandLineArguments.ValidateSilentInstallCommandLineOptions()

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.RationalizeCommandLineArguments.Rationalize()

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.RationalizeGeneralInstall()

at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.SetupFramework.Program.RationalizeInstall()

at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.SetupFramework.Program.Main()

Any ideas? I feel like Im just going in circlesBob

January 29th, 2015 11:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics