Unable to connect to Hyper-V Child Partitions over Network

I'm trying to make the switch from ESXi over to Hyper-V. I've just set up my first Hyper-V host, and I've hit an issue that's had me stumped for a couple of days.  I can connect to the parent partition successfully, and connect from it to the rest of the network.  However, I can't connect to the guest partitions over the network at all.  The guest partitions can connect to the rest of the network OK, (can ping other servers, and joined the domain successfully), but no matter what, I can't seem to connect into them from the LAN (ping, or RDP).

My Hyper-V host has two Physical NICs, one of which I've dedicated to storage (via a separate, physical switch), and one which connects to the LAN.  Not ideal, I know, but it's what I have to work with, and it's the same setup as I've used successfully in ESXi for several years.

Storage is working fine over an SMB3 share, but I can't get the LAN interface to work.  I'm trying to follow the recommended configuration, as shown in Figure 1 (Source), but with VLAN 11 for the parent partition, and VLANS 11, 21, 31, 32 and a couple of others for Guest partitions.  I have created an external Virtual Switch, bound to the Physical NIC which connects to the LAN, which has the VLAN ID for the host operating system set as 11.  I've created a couple of VM's, with their virtual NIC's connected to this virtual switch, and the VLAN ID's 11 and 21.  The physical switch port that the LAN-facing interface is connected to is in trunking mode, and is a member of all the necessary VLANs.  I've verified that VLANs are supported enabled in the NIC's properties.

I'm completely out of ideas at this point, as far as I can see, everything should be working. Are there any suggestions or ideas I've not tried yet?

Many thanks.

August 31st, 2015 9:17pm

Hi GBurch1,

It seems the network blocked by firewall, could you try to disable all the system firewall then monitor the issue again.

with VLAN 11 for the parent partition, Does that mean you have set the VLAN ID on the physical NIC? You should generally not set the VLAN ID at the physical NIC, it should be set on either the Virtual Switch or the individual Virtual Machines configuration, please refer this blog article again.

Understanding Hyper-V VLANs

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adamfazio/archive/2008/11/14/understanding-hyper-v-vlans.aspx

More information:

Buzz: Getting VLAN Trunking working with Hyper-V

http://blogs.technet.com/b/chrad/archive/2009/06/24/buzz-getting-vlan-trunking-working-with-hyper-v.aspx

Im glad to be of help to you!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 10:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics