Unable to change network profile from domain authenticated to public

Hi,

I am using Windows Server 2012 R2. I am deploying Direct Access on it. I don't have any internal LAN and both the interface are public IP enabled. I want to change network profile to public, currently which is domain authenticated. I have tried to change it to public via power shell using this command

set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias external -NetworkCategory Public

but no luck server is showing an error 

set-NetConnectionProfile : Unable to set the NetworkCategory due to one of the following possible reasons: not running

PowerShell elevated; the NetworkCategory cannot be changed from 'DomainAuthenticated'; user initiated changes to

NetworkCategory are being prevented due to the Group Policy setting 'Network List Manager Policies'.

At line:1 char:1

+ set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias external -NetworkCategory Public

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (MSFT_NetConnect...F150E6258CCC}"):root/StandardCi...nnectionProfile)

[Set-NetConnectionProfile], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 2,Set-NetConnectionProfile

As error showing I have also tried Network List Manager Policy from Group Policy but the problem remain same.

Can someone please help me as I am unable to deploy direct access because of this.

May 2nd, 2014 3:16am

Hi,

Please confirm you are using the administrator right and try the following command:

PS> Set-NetConnectionProfile  -InterfaceIndex InterfaceIndex number  -NetworkCategory Public

More information:

Set-NetConnectionProfile

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj899565.aspx

The third party article:

Set Network Location to Private in Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2

http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel/2013/12/29/set-network-location-to-private-in-windows-8-1server-2012-r2/

Hope this helps.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 6th, 2014 2:26am

Hi Alex,

I am running this command from Power shell (Run As Administrator). I have already checked the Microsoft Technet article but no luck. Raised a ticket in Microsoft Support. Let's see what happens?

May 6th, 2014 3:43am

Hi,

excuse me to use your topic, but i have the same problem.

Did you have any progress?

I googled and read a lot of articles, unfortunately  couldn't found  any decision or proposal. 

September 2nd, 2014 6:41am

Same situation, same command, same error.  I am in an elevated powershell session.  I also tried with InterfaceIndex rather than alias, but the error is the same.

It's really annoying when a moderator marks their own response as the answer when it clearly isn't the answer to the problem.

The answer appears to be that this command can change the profile between public and private, but can't set it to or change it away from domain.

I fixed this by adding an outbound firewall rule blocking the 'external' interface from contact the IPs for our domain controllers.

October 9th, 2014 10:33pm

Same issue, no solution, so any update would be really appreciated...

July 15th, 2015 9:13pm

Same issue, no solution, so any update would be really appreciated...

July 16th, 2015 1:03am

Having the same issue, any solution?
August 15th, 2015 4:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics