Unable to browse DFSR shares / namespace

Hello

I have an interesting situation that I am trying to get to the bottom of

I have a DFSR namespace setup - and several folder targets configured as part of that namespace. Lets call this \\contoso\dfs\shares

I have two accounts, my standard domain user account, and an administrative account

If I Browse to the DFSR share via my admin account - I can see all shares

\\contoso\dfs\shares\
 - Data 1
 - Data 2
 - Data 3
 - Data 4

If I browse to the DFSR share via my user account - I can only see two of the 4 shares

\\contoso\dfs\shares\
 - Data 1
 - Data 4

If I browse to the share directly using my user account - it works fine

\\contoso\dfs\shares\data 3

- Some files

I have confirmed that my user account has the following effective permissions on \\contoso\dfs\shares\

Traverse folder / execute file
list folder / read data
Read Extended attributes
Read permissions

I have confirmed that my user account has the same effective permissions on Data 1 / Data 2 / Data 3 and Data 4 subfolders

Traverse folder / execute file
list folder / read data
Read Extended attributes
Read permissions

I don't understand what is stopping my user account from seeing the missing folders from the namespace, when the permissions are the same. The folder targets are not hidden shares

The folder targets are on different servers. I have checked the folder targets on each server and the permissions are set the same

I can confirm that if I browse to \\constoso\dfs\shares and \\contoso.microsoft.com\dfs\shares via my user account that the result is the same

Any assistance in relation to this would be appreciated

September 9th, 2015 1:28am

Hi,

I would like to know if \\constoso\dfs\shares is actually point to several folder targets (C:\shares on ServerA, D:\Shares on ServerB etc), and Data1-4 are subfolders under these folder targets.

If so, it is a really strange issue, as when you got directed to \\constoso\dfs\shares, it is actually accessing \\serverA\shares. With same permissions on all 4 folders, there is no reason why 2 of them got disappeared. 

Please right click on \\constoso\dfs\shares when you got the issue and see the Properties - DFS tab to see if it is always a same server which has this issue - test to switch to another server in DFS tab to see if issue persists. 

If it is a specific server, try to remove it from the DFS namespace, wait for an AD replication and add it back to see the result. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 8:27am

Hello and thanks for the reply

Unfortunately all DFS targets are set to one server only

From my previous example its set up as follows:

\\contoso\dfs\shares\
 - Data 1 (Server1)
 - Data 2 (Server1)
 - Data 3 (Server2)
 - Data 4 (Server1)

So data 1, 2 and 3 all target the same server. All underlying folders have the same permissions. I don't understand how some folders from the one server work, whereas others do not

September 14th, 2015 11:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics