Unable to backup Windows 2008 R2 domain controller's System State/Active directory backup
Hi I've been trying to backup Windows 2008 R2 domain controller's System State/Active directory via Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3, but it's unsuccessful.I contacted Symantec support on this issue and they have done some troubleshooting and told me that it's not a Symantec Backup Exece issue, but it is the issue with Windows 2008 R2 server itself.According to Symantec debug log Symantec Backup Exece server is unable to communitae with Windows 2008 R2 server due to Error 69 -The network BIOS session limit was exceeded.Symantec support also advised me to contact Microsoft as it's not related to thier product.Please note that both Backup Exec server and Windows 2008 R2 are in same domain and in the same subnet. Can someone help me to rectify this issue ? Thanks
May 26th, 2011 8:49pm

Hi Please make sure to use UNC connections to the server instead of mapping a drive. You also try to remove all of 3rd-party programs such as antivirus or firewall software etc. Brent Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 26th, 2011 11:17pm

Hi Brent Your reply doesn't answer my question.There is no requirement for Symantec Backup Exec to map the folder of the server you are trying to backing up.I want to know how to resolve Error 69 -The network BIOS session limit was exceeded of Windows 2008 R2 Server.Is there any hotfix or patch available form Microsoft to resolve this issue ? Thanks
May 29th, 2011 9:00pm

Does the error persist even after a reboot? Does netstat -ano show a lot of connections in TIME_WAIT or CLOSE_WAIT state? What is the value of the following if they exist? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters\MaxCmds HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\MaxMpxCt Else Create MaxCmds under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters to 2048 (decimal) Create MaxMpxCt under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters to 2048 (decimal) A restart is recommended. You can try restarting the server service first to see if that corrects the issue. Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
May 30th, 2011 4:43am

Yes the error presist even after rebbot. I've checked the regsitry , but I couldn't find MaxCmds & MaxMpxCt registry keys i.e these keys are nox exists.If I create those keys as per your recommendation would it create any problem ? The reason why I m asking because it's a main/FSMO role mater DC of our domain ? Thanks
May 31st, 2011 8:58pm

It does not exist by default. You can go ahead and create those. Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
May 31st, 2011 10:35pm

Did this change resolve the issue? Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
June 3rd, 2011 12:39am

Hi Suresh Thanks for your reply.I didn't do it but will do it this weekend and will update you next week about it.Just want you to confirm again that this change in registry will not put any negative impact on DC ?
June 3rd, 2011 12:44am

This is a standard change and is publicly documented 324446 Terminal Server and connected Terminal Services clients pause when a Terminal Services client logs on or logs off Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
June 3rd, 2011 12:56am

Did this help? Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
June 6th, 2011 3:03am

Hi Sumesh Thanks for your reply.I didn't try yet.Will update you when it's done !
June 6th, 2011 11:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics