Unable to access the shared volume on windows 2008 R2 server from a windows 7 machine
I am unable to access the shared volume on windows 2008 R2 server from a windows 7 machine, where as with same credentials i am able to access the share from xp machine. I can access the shares through the IP address and fqdn from windows 7 machines. All three machines are in domain and tried with domain users and domain admins who are having access rights to this share folder. Please advise.
April 7th, 2011 2:08pm

Does it work if you access with the domain suffix added such as \\ServerName.local\ShareName ? If so the domain suffix is not being added by your DHCP server. You can edit DHCP or localy under TCP/IP advanced properties under DNS, use this suffix for this connectionRob Williams
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2011 7:35pm

Dear Rob Williams, Thanks for the advise. We did it but, we are unable to connect the shares. Some times even with FQDn /IP Address also we are unable to connect the shares. Please note that we can able to access the same shares with same credentials from windows XP client. Plese advise. Regards, Harasai HARASAI
July 6th, 2011 1:37pm

Hi Harasai. Sorry for the delay in replying. Could you possibly post the results of ipconfig /all from the problematic Windows 7 machine. It may help to diagnose. Thanks.Rob Williams
July 11th, 2011 6:57pm

Hi, We have exactly the same issue as the poster, just wanted to know if you have a resolution to the problem, i.e. File Server Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows XP can access shares, 2008, 2008 R2 cannot access the shares. Also, are you running Symantec End Point Protection version 11 or 10, we think that this may be the cause of our problems, although that does not explain why it works from XP. Regards, Sally
July 18th, 2011 12:50am

To Both Sally and Harasai. When you say you cannot access files, what is the error you receive. Is it a path not found or similar error, or a permissions error? Harasai, you mention sometimes you can access by FQDN. The reason I ask for an IPconfig is a common problem is folk have their ISP or router as an alternate DNS server. Your PC's and servers should only point to your internal DNS servers. If not you will often have name resolution and connection issues.Rob Williams
July 30th, 2011 3:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics