Unable to access network drives via VPN...
Hi, Not sure if anyone has ran into this scenario and found a solution. We have Windows XP pro laptops that users use to connect via VPN to mapped network drives but are unable to access them. Listed below is the error message that users get when trying to access them. An error occurred while reconnecting R:\\ip address\folder name Microsoft Windows Network. The local device name is already in use. The connection has not been restored. The mapped drives look normal when viewing them under My Computer. But when you view the properties for each drive connected via vpn it shows that the drive is disconnected. I have also checked to make sure there was not a DHCP issue and tried even by manually mapping the drive and enter the username and password, except no luck. I then tried to connect to the drives via workgroup instead of logging in to the domain user profile and it worked. Any ideas or solution will be helpful. Thank you.
May 3rd, 2011 4:08am

I think you might be seeing this issue in this kb http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890413. You can probably make this work by connect using different credentials and specifying username and password of user with rights to the file server share.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 4th, 2011 8:51pm

Hi Michael, That ended up resolving the issue when trying to access mapped drives via VPN. The only issue that i encountered was when it prompted the user to enter his or her credentials it would not connect / continue with the re-map of the drives. Only when i entered the administrator password did it work. Also the user's credentials were correct. So i guess the first part is resolved i just need to figure out the second part. So far thank you for your quick response. Adranos
May 11th, 2011 5:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics