Unable to access Windows Server 2008 over VPN connection
I'm having trouble accessing my Windows 2008 server remotely over a VPN connection. I have two other servers and I have no trouble accessing them. One is a 2003 server and the other a 2008 server. The server i'm having trouble accessing is currently a DC, File and an Exchange. The 2003 server is a DC server and the 2008 server is a Blackberry server. I check the local GP settings, but i don't see any policy that could be blocking all incoming connections to the server. I've been working on this for 5 days and nothing i try works. I feel like i'm missing an obvious setting. Can anyone help? alex
August 23rd, 2010 9:11am

Hi, can you explain better what you can't access ? can't you access to the shared folders ? can't you access through rdp ? what error do you receive when you try to access ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 23rd, 2010 9:54am

Hi, Thanks for the post. Are the problematic DC and good ones in the same subnet? Can we ping the DC by the IP address or the Host name? Please capture a Screenshot when the error message shows up ======================= 1. Please press the Print Screen key (Putsch) on your keyboard. 2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK. 3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save. Please post the screenshot here. Thanks, Miles Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 24th, 2010 10:49am

Hi, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 30th, 2010 4:17am

Hi, I'm not the original poster but I'm having the same exact issue. I have a 2003 SBS server and 2 servers with 2008. When I'm in the office I have no problems accessing the servers but when I connect through the VPN then I'm not able to access one of the 2008 servers. Through the VPN I have no problems accessing the SBS server or one of the 2008 servers. The other 2008 server I'm unable to RDP, ping, or access shares. I am internittently able to access Sharepoint and Microsoft CRM that are hosted on the problem server but it is rare. I've tried to compare the firewall with advanced settings and roles on the 2008 servers but they seem to match. Any ideas?
October 14th, 2010 10:41pm

what is the endpoint of vpn on the hand of sbs ? windows firewall on win2k8 is disabled ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
October 15th, 2010 4:26am

Good day, I'm having a smiliar issue. I can "connect" to the 2008 Server (running Small Business Addition), but I can't access anything on the server. I can't even see the server on my remote machine. Let me be clear:I can connect, in that DHCP is in fact assigning me an IP from the IP pool on the server, but after 5 minutes or so the connection times out. During this time that I'm connected, I can't access anything on the server (by either typing the DNS name or IP address of the server). I can ping the server from the remote machine, and I get a response, but that is the extent of what I can do I've checked through my authentication protocols and IPv4 settings and I can't figure it out. The server log is showhing that the remote computer is connecting, but thats it. The strange thing is, it was working just fine up until about a two weeks ago (after I downloaded some updates from MS's website through Automatic Update). I haven't changed any of my settings, and now (all of a sudden, it seems) nothing is working I've tried turning DHCP off and manually assigning an IP range. The remote machine picks the first address from this pool with no problem, but I still can't access anything. Stephen
January 28th, 2011 5:42pm

I facing same problem. I gave windows 2008 R2 Foundation server and configured as a VPN server using only one NIC card. I can dialed the server and connects the server OK. But I can't access any server resources (RDP,ping). I have checked configured DHCP Replay agents, configured static IP into IPV4 etc. Can anybody tell me what else should I have to do to access this server through VPN? Thanks
February 27th, 2011 2:09am

basic firewall under RRAS is enabled ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
February 28th, 2011 3:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics