Unable to Migrate VM's after moving from older cluster

Hello Everyone,

I have migrated 4 VM's from a 2008R2 SP1 failover cluster to a 2012 R2 failover cluster.  The migration went off without a hitch, at least until I tried to live migrate one of the VM's to another node in the cluster.  Below is the error I get when attempting to live migrate the VM:

Cluster resource 'Virtual Machine Configuration TutorTrac' of type 'Virtual Machine Configuration' in clustered role 'TUTOR' failed. The error code was '0x2' ('The system cannot find the file specified.').

Based on the failure policies for the resource and role, the cluster service may try to bring the resource online on this node or move the group to another node of the cluster and then restart it.  Check the resource and group state using Failover Cluster Manager or the Get-ClusterResource Windows PowerShell cmdlet.

The volume which stores the VHD's for the VM's can be migrated to all the nodes without incident.  Does anyone know if this is a common problem?  Does it have a "common" solution?

Thanks

April 27th, 2015 3:01pm

Hi Sir,

"

1) You need to validate your cluster using cluster validation feature in-side Failover Cluster Manager. For doing this it would be better if you can bring all your cluster resources (VMs) down as it will validate all the resources and doing this in production will result of service down. Validate all the cluster nodes for recommended all tests.

2) Make sure that within your Hyper-V manager on all cluster nodes you are keeping the Virtual Networks names same, ,like on your Hyper-V if you have created server_network for one of your virtual network for VM then this name should be same on all nodes in the cluster.

3) Also for your VM make sure that ISO file is not attached when you trigger live migration, as if the cluster will not try to find it as shared between all nodes or on the destination node then it will through an error during live migration.

"

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 28th, 2015 2:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics