Unable to Install MIM 2016 SyncServices

Hi,

When installing MIM Synchronization Service I keep getting this error:

Product: Microsoft Identity Manager Synchronization Service -- Error 25009.The Microsoft Identity Manager Synchronization Service setup wizard cannot configure the specified database. <hr=0x80131700>

- Setup-User is admin on MIM Server and SA on remote SQL Instance. Any Idea?
- It's a new MIM Installation & SQL native Client is installed
- The definied SA has no SQL Login and the DB does not exist on the SQL Instance

best regards

Pirmin

September 4th, 2015 8:21am

Setup-User is admin on MIM Server and SA on remote SQL Instance. Any Idea?  NO IDEA What this means.
 The definied SA has no SQL Login and the DB does not exist on the SQL Instance. No Idea what this means either

-----------------------------------------------------

Do the following.

1. Service accounts used by FIM Sync and FIM Portal (MIM Same thing) need to be SYSADMIN in SQL Server where the product is being installed.

2. SQL Server Full Text Index option needs to be installed in the SQL Server

----------------------------------------------------------

It is a good practice to read carefully the pre-reqs before trying to install this product. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 1:28pm

Thanks for your feedback.

You're right. I *should* have read the pre-reqs more carefully. It was no SQL issue. I just missed to install .Net 3.5 on the MIM Server.

Here some additional comments regarding permissions - because I did some testing on that:
I use a setup user to setup MIM Synchronization Server. That user needs local Admin rights on the MIM Server. Moreover it needs the dbcreator & securityadmin role on the SQL Instance to be able to create FIMSynchronizationService database and create a SQL login for the MIM Synchronization Service-account. Because setup creates the db & sqlLogin, the serviceAccount Login & database must NOT exist on SQL Instance prior the MIM Setup. SQL permission delegation to MIM Serviceaccount is automatically done trough the setup process.

To summarize:
- Install Windows Server 2012 R2
- Install .Net Framework 3.5
- Install SQL Native Client 11.xx
- Delegate dbCreator & securityAdmin on SQL to the user which setups MIM Sync.
- Run SynchServer Setup with that user (which has Admin rights on MIM Server) & be happy.

regards

Pirmin

September 6th, 2015 8:21am

Thanks for your feedback.

You're right. I *should* have read the pre-reqs more carefully. It was no SQL issue. I just missed to install .Net 3.5 on the MIM Server.

Here some additional comments regarding permissions - because I did some testing on that:
I use a setup user to setup MIM Synchronization Server. That user needs local Admin rights on the MIM Server. Moreover it needs the dbcreator & securityadmin role on the SQL Instance to be able to create FIMSynchronizationService database and create a SQL login for the MIM Synchronization Service-account. Because setup creates the db & sqlLogin, the serviceAccount Login & database must NOT exist on SQL Instance prior the MIM Setup. SQL permission delegation to MIM Serviceaccount is automatically done trough the setup process.

To summarize:
- Install Windows Server 2012 R2
- Install .Net Framework 3.5
- Install SQL Native Client 11.xx
- Delegate dbCreator & securityAdmin on SQL to the user which setups MIM Sync.
- Run SynchServer Setup with that user (which has Admin rights on MIM Server) & be happy.

regards

Pirmin

• Marked as answer by Pirmin Felber Sunday, September 06, 2015 12:18 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2015 12:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics